If my Radeon 69502GB is working should I upgrade?

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I have a Intel i5 unlocked CPU IVY bridge, 16GB of g-skill ram, a 240Gb SSD drive for OS, several 1TB 7200RPM drives with one just for games/steam, and lastly the video card a Radeon 6950 2 GB factory over clocked.

If I am to upgrade my system I assume the video card is the first thing I should upgrade.

The only time I see any delays is loading games or maps. I assume it is due to the hard drive.

Should I upgrade to a SSD for my game drive given current prices for a 500GB to 1TB SSD drive?

Given the sales going on should I upgrade the video card if the video games seem to work well? If so which card currently gives good performance for the price (mid range card)?

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I will never understand the point of asking others if you should upgrade. its YOUR pc so only YOU know if you are happy with the way it performs. that said you sure must not be playing many demanding modern games on higher settings or either you are not bothered by modest framerates as the 6950 is really not all that good anymore for demanding games.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I'm assuming you have an i5-3570k? If so, no real need to upgrade the CPU.

I'd look for a GPU in your situation. Maybe a 280x or 290x or some NVidia equivalent depending on your budget. All depends on the resolution you are playing at.

Mondozei

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2013
Your GPU is getting long in the tooth. Of course, it matters what kind of games you play. Nevertheless, you could probably get a R9-280(without X) for a cheap sum and it is great for overclocking. If you got some cash to splash, I'd go for a 970, which in its OC'd version, would probably last you quite a few good years.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
OP: If everything is "working fine for you" then NO you should NOT upgrade.

+1

If your games are smooth there's zero reason to upgrade. Wait until something comes along that doesn't play nice on your system, THEN upgrade. Probably to something more powerful and cheaper than available today.

Rickyyy369

Apr 21, 2012
If you're happy with how it handles games then I don't think you should upgrade. Maybe considering getting an SSD like you mentioned and wait to upgrade your video card until it really starts struggling.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I understand it may be a silly question as one person stated. I realize it is getting "long in tooth" amd may struggle with modern games at max resolution. I play first person shooters and not at max setting. I have a 24/25 inch HD LCD/LED screen.

I have thought of upgrading and considering the lower prices would hate to pay a higher price for the same card in three to six months from now. Depending on when I up grade. Another thought was I could sell my GPU while it has some life in it.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I rarely upgrade because I need to. Its more I want to. If shopping for and getting a new piece of hardware makes you happy (and you can afford it), why not? Then you can play those shooters (current and future) with all the bells and whistles enabled.

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
I like to upgrade now in increments and not wait until everything is old as dirt. I used to wait but I make a little more money now. I also used to be a NVIDIA only guy until the Radeon 69502GB came along. The price/performance was just to good to pass up or buy anything else at the that time.

Looking for the sweet stop again.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
If your major complaint is maps loading then a new SSD to have games on would be the upgrade based on your OP. I took the plunge and bought a 500GB EVO a couple months back.

As others have already said, wait until you notice you need to upgrade the GPU. That said, I normally upgrade the GPU after two series. I'm waiting to see what the 300 series looks like and then pick the better performance card of the 390(whatever it'll be called) and 970.

Last edited:

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
If your major complaint is maps loading then a new SSD to have games on would be the upgrade based on your OP. I took the plunge and bought a 500GB EVO a couple months back.

As others have already said, wait until you notice you need to upgrade the GPU. That said, I normally upgrade the GPU after two series. I'm waiting to see what the 300 series looks like and then pick the better performance card of the 390(whatever it'll be called) and 970.

I guess I will save up a little money and buy a 500GB-1TB SSD drive. The map loading time is the main issue.

I will have to figue out a way to copy everything over so I do not blow up my steam folder/gaming drive.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Don't bother trying to copy crap over to your SSD. You will fight it forever, trust me. It's best to face the pain up front and do a clean OS install onto the SSD as your main drive and put big apps, media, and games that dont need SSD speeds on your HDD.

You lose half the benefit of an SSD if your OS isn't on it

Artista

Jan 7, 2011
Don't bother trying to copy crap over to your SSD. You will fight it forever, trust me. It's best to face the pain up front and do a clean OS install onto the SSD as your main drive and put big apps, media, and games that dont need SSD speeds on your HDD.

You lose half the benefit of an SSD if your OS isn't on it

I must not have been clear. My OS is on a 240GB SSD currently. The game drive is a 1TB 7200 RPM harddrive.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
240GB is cramped for games. I used to swap titles back and forth (between SSD and mechanical), then decided to take the plunge and get a 500GB 840 ($270 - cheap at the time, almost $0.50/GB!).

Best decision ever!

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
If you're happy with how your current games play then I wouldn't upgrade. I reckon you could probably squeeze another five or ten years out of the 6950 if you just dial down the detail/quality settings settings further on any new games you play.

Guovssohas

Sep 30, 2011
If it works fine why upgrade.

I'm still rockin' with a 6870 1gb and owning(some rounds) in BF4. Works fine in Medium settings at 1080p.

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
I had a similar setup and upgraded recently for Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age Inquisition. It was not necessary but I got a good deal on the new card

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I must not have been clear. My OS is on a 240GB SSD currently. The game drive is a 1TB 7200 RPM harddrive.

Okay then, yeah. I'm in the same boat. I'll swap over to my SSD any game which has long loading times. It usually helps. It's not very dramatic most of the time. This is on a Samsung 830 256gb. Some games just don't really load quickly and here isn't too much to be done. Some do load more quickly -- like in BF4 I can get into game before half the server and get an unfair advantage. If I had to say though, it totally isn't worth buying a new SSD. Maybe just get a bigger OS SSD and image your current install onto it, then keep the few games which work better on the SSD on that expanded OS drive, if you're set on it.