If my Minute Maid orange juice says SELL BY June 2nd how long until it's spoiled?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamfried

Jan 28, 2001
It was the taste and the smell. But "they" say taste is affected by smell. At any rate, you will definately know if it is bad. You're ok if you don't notice anything wrong. You will notice and as I recall, it was all of a sudden, fine one day, not fine the next.:disgust:

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000

<< You said the date is *SELL BY* so you should be safe for at least a week or more.Besides oj is acidic and therefor doesn't spoil very easily >>

Hey Hey! Johnny Knoxville finally says something that has factual basis, and I agree with him! I guess he's not so bad. ;)

<< I think I've had OJ go bad on me, it gets a bit of an alcohol odor to it. >>

Hurry up and drink, RossMan, or you'll get drunk off the stuff!

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
i wouldn't drink it

it has to be spoiled by now

It's probably alcoholic by now. Fermented, like this thread.

Reminds me of my issue with 'use by' dates. So often I pull things out of the fridge, peer at the use-by date, and find myself asking "yes, but what _year_?".

Too often they just say to use by such-and-such a day of such-and-such a month, but I'm left wondering whether I bought this a couple of months ago or a couple of years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
@brianmanahan you smarmy bastage. This necro is old enough to drink, but I wouldn't suggest the OJ that expired in June of 2001. :p

edit: both 'IAmBatman' and 'JohnnyKnoxville' last seen 09/11/01 :oops:

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
@brianmanahan you smarmy bastage. This necro is old enough to drink, but I wouldn't suggest the OJ that expired in June of 2001. :p

lol now that makes me feel really old!
ojpc64O.png

edit: both 'IAmBatman' and 'JohnnyKnoxville' last seen 09/11/01 :oops:

oh dang... you wonder...

edit: looks like johnny was posting about it after the fact... my guess is they said something and got their comments deleted and accounts banned for it

• Wow
Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Remember, these”best if used by” or “use by” dates are NOT expiration dates at all, just dates the mfgr suggests the product be consumed by to ensure “full flavor” or some such crap.

The only food I know of that has actual expiration dates (dispose of if not used by X date) is infant formula.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Remember, these”best if used by” or “use by” dates are NOT expiration dates at all, just dates the mfgr suggests the product be consumed by to ensure “full flavor” or some such crap.

The only food I know of that has actual expiration dates (dispose of if not used by X date) is infant formula.
Are "Best if used by" dates the same as "Tinder" dates?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I assume milk does as well, but idk if that also applies to the shelf-stable carton milk.