If McCain were to win the election, would you consider moving to another country?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
I didn't move when Bush got elected the second time, and I think McCain is slightly better than Bush (only slightly)

Still, his hot temper is a lot worse for our international relations... but I'm hoping he'd surround himself with people who tell him to chill the fuck out.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ranmaniac
I realize that it seems more likely that Obama will win the election, however, if Obama were to lose, would you consider moving, and if so, to which country? Or would you stick around and support a Hillary 2012 ticket etc? In 2004, many celebrities proclaimed that they would move if George W. Bush was re-elected, although few actually ever delivered on their promises.

Personally, I would choose the UK, mostly for language reasons, and also
I have relatives there as well.

And London is basically a big party.

Yeah, the UK is pretty awesome, but I'd miss the cheap consumer lifestyle.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Eeezee
I didn't move when Bush got elected the second time, and I think McCain is slightly better than Bush (only slightly)

Still, his hot temper is a lot worse for our international relations... but I'm hoping he'd surround himself with people who tell him to chill the fuck out.

Chief of Staff Tommy Chong?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Is this a serious thread?

For some Obama supporters perhaps.

You didn't answer the question. Did you make this thread because you're asking if Obama supporters would seriously consider leaving the country, or did you realize that your question is stupid and asked it for laughs?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Viditor
Originally posted by: FirewolfX
People said that when Bush was elected...yet I don't recall a mass exodus from the US....just F'in stupid talk.

As someone who moved to Australia when Bush took office, I can assure you it does happen...
The problem is that very few countries want us Yanks. I have been traveling the world for 25 years now (part of the job), and I can tell you that the reputation of Americans is in the toilet..The vast consensus of the other people in the world is that it will remain so if McCain is elected.

The consensus that I've picked up in the last 5 years of world travel is that the Americans are great people, but Americans in power are fucked up individuals. That's just my experience in Europe, I haven't been to other continents.

Hopefully our standing improves when Obama takes office and we have a reasonable president.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
I've already considered leaving but that would mean giving up any chance of ever working in my field which requires professional licensure, so I'm more or less stuck here. I think that our nation is going to transform into a third world country in the future regardless of who wins the election. I think New Zealand might be a nice place to live. I'd also consider Iceland, Norway, Sweden, or Finland but that would mean having to learn a (strange) new language and I have no idea whether or not they're welcoming to American immigrants.

Third world country? WTF gives you that impression?

Even Japan's epic 10-year recession didn't turn them into a 3rd world country. Having high unemployment sucks, but it's not going to go higher than 10-15%. That means the rest of the country is employed!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Painman
I'm an American, and I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

End of message.

Shens

Didn't see you or anyone defend the Country against Bush, Cheney, Rush, Hannity and all of the American destroying Republicans.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Is this a serious thread?

For some Obama supporters perhaps.

You didn't answer the question. Did you make this thread because you're asking if Obama supporters would seriously consider leaving the country, or did you realize that your question is stupid and asked it for laughs?

I'm curious if people would consider leaving the country. I seriously wanted to after the 2004 election, however, as someone else mentioned previously, the countries where you would want to emigrate to have very stringent requirements in their selection.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I really wish that all the Democrats who threaten to move to another country should their candidate lose would make good on their promise.

If Obama loses, there is nothing to fight about...as for flight, knock yourself out.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Will McCain supporters be leaving the country if Obama wins?

ABitTooSpicy

Jun 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic

Now you see I can't listen to you because well you're just an Elitist.

"Vic
Elite Member"

(Sorry I couldn't help myself)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Yes, if there is a President Palin. When all the Russian and American nukes start flying over Canada (you know, cause you can't blink at Russia!), I will be far away :p

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Nope; we have the greatest country on earth. Wouldn't leave come hell or high water.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I wouldn't let some old Crank and a Dipstick with Lipstick chase me from a country I love.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Nope; we have the greatest country on earth. Wouldn't leave come hell or high water.

And 99.999% of Obama supporters feel the same way. This whole "libuhrals hate America" is the biggest crock of jingoistic shit that conservatives spin.

I have, however, considered spending some time living outside the country at some point in my life, but just for the experience and not for any political reasons. Like maybe retiring on some huge cattle ranch in Uruguay or something like that has some appeal.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Americans are welcome over here :p Hope you like milking cows and shearing sheep.

NZ is on my short list of countries in which I'd like to live.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
No, but since I have other citizenships I am always in knowledge that I can move if the US becomes a sh*thole.