If McCain / Obama could pick new VP's without negative repercussion

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005

Is there an option for "neither"?

Actually, I believe McCain might be more likely-- just because there is tiny, tiny chance that something damaging that is actually relevant about Palin's background or policy stance will be revealed-- where as the odds of something similiar happening to Biden are far more remote (you don't get to be Senator for 35-years without having had opponenets giving you your sextennial colon inspections).

But as things stand right now, I'd say both camps are happy with their picks.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

I have a feeling that McCain feels he made more of a mistake
for who he did pick, than the mistake Obama feels he made for who he didn't pick

However, I think Obama probably would feel stronger if he had made a specific pick (Clinton), than Mccain would if he made any other pick than his current PR nightmare

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
The only bad things I've seen about Biden are posted here by wingnuts. None of Biden's recent "gaffes" have made it into the MSM.

Reading all the stuff that has come out about Palin, today alone, makes me suspect that she will bow out for "personal issues." Troopergate is going to get really ugly.

Misspeaking in a speech or getting drunk before a campaign stop don't make headlines, whereas firing your public safety commissioner for not firing your sister's exhusband does.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I said I thought Palin would be a good choice a couple weeks ago and I still think it, despite these non-scandal "scandals" that will hopefully be old news after the convention is over (she better deliver a helluva speech). god forbid her daughter has a miscarriage, I bet liberal blogs have posts in the hole all ready to do accusing the republicans of forcing her to have an abortion and then cover it up.

she might not have been his first choice, but she seems like the happy medium between getting someone who is enough of an outside / non-conventional choice to bolster McCain's image but who's not so far from his party's base that they'd provoke a fight on the convention floor (Lieberman) or depress his base's turnout (Ridge).

as for Obama, he went conventional. Biden isn't going to pull in any votes, but he probably won't cost any either. the people who might have been turned off by the fact that Biden represents what Obama ran against in the primaries know that there's no other game in town.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I don't think either would change them. Both took the running mate that gave them the best chance to win. Biden is there with vast experience. Biden is the safe pick for the candate who ahead in the polls. Palin is there to solidify and excite the conservative base. She is also the most pro drilling republican out there which is a huge issue the republicans are winning on. The odds of any republican winning this fall before the primary season was what maybe 1 in 1000 to most people. When you are such an extreme underdog you need to take as many chances as you can. Palin is that all or nothing kind of pick if she works out McCain pulls off a major upset maybe the biggest in presidental poliitcs history. If not you were going to lose anways.

Look at McCain's choices really.

Romney I like him a lot but he could not be taken after house gate. 2 extremely rich white guys on the same ticket would of been a death sentence. It is to bad about house gate because I think having someone like Romney as VP could only be a huge plus with all the economic challenges we have.

Huckabee would of lost all the financial conservatives and many independants. Huckabee is only conservative in social issues. He is liberal in spending and size of government. Death sentance to the campaign that needs to sell its self on lower taxes and less spending.

I like Tim Pawlenty he would of been a solid selection. The problem is to be honest it just would of not been big enough news. They had to knock the Obama speech out of the news cycle. Tim Pawlenty would of been a giant yawn to the media and 5 minutes after the selection it would of been right back to the history speech Obama made.

The rest were pro-choice and that would of been a death sentence. The christain right would of just stayed home.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
I said I thought Palin would be a good choice a couple weeks ago and I still think it, despite these non-scandal "scandals" that will hopefully be old news after the convention is over (she better deliver a helluva speech). god forbid her daughter has a miscarriage, I bet liberal blogs have posts in the hole all ready to do accusing the republicans of forcing her to have an abortion and then cover it up.

Are you so invested in being right since you said it earlier that you are biased for her now?

Your insulting attacks on the liberal blogs are dishonest and annoying.

If you can't attack what they say, you dont' have a point and aren't entitled to attack for what you say they might say.

And ironically, it's the right-wing blogs I see the trash from. Somehow I'm on the redstate mailing list, and got an e-mail of a photo of a trash can with flags from the Democratic convention, along with an article explaining how that was the general attitude of th democrats. Oh, and I got that e-mail, in contrast to you putting words in their mouth.

as for Obama, he went conventional. Biden isn't going to pull in any votes,

Of course he will - one of the main reasons he was appointed was to get the blue collar voters Hillary beat Obama on in key swing states. Did you see 60 minutes?

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
I said I thought Palin would be a good choice a couple weeks ago and I still think it, despite these non-scandal "scandals" that will hopefully be old news after the convention is over (she better deliver a helluva speech).

Perhaps you could try the term "issues" - it would save you typing

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234

Are you so invested in being right since you said it earlier that you are biased for her now?

Your insulting attacks on the liberal blogs are dishonest and annoying.

If you can't attack what they say, you dont' have a point and aren't entitled to attack for what you say they might say.

And ironically, it's the right-wing blogs I see the trash from. Somehow I'm on the redstate mailing list, and got an e-mail of a photo of a trash can with flags from the Democratic convention, along with an article explaining how that was the general attitude of th democrats. Oh, and I got that e-mail, in contrast to you putting words in their mouth.

as for Obama, he went conventional. Biden isn't going to pull in any votes,

Of course he will - one of the main reasons he was appointed was to get the blue collar voters Hillary beat Obama on in key swing states. Did you see 60 minutes?

So loki was right - he was a safe pick to keep you "blue collar" union drones in line. It wasn't like they were going anywhere though - their programming runs too deep.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The left is going totally nuts on this Palin thing, they should be embarrassed by their behavior.

Even Obama is pointing out that his mom was 18 when he was born. And notice that his mom was married in Feb and little Barack was born only 6 months later.

People make mistakes and the mistakes of a 17 year old female should not be an issue in a Presidential election.

BTW Barack was born August 4 so if we a full 9 month term baby she would have got pregnant around early November at which point his mom was only 17.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The left is going totally nuts on this Palin thing, they should be embarrassed by their behavior.

Even Obama is pointing out that his mom was 18 when he was born. And notice that his mom was married in Feb and little Barack was born only 6 months later.

People make mistakes and the mistakes of a 17 year old female should not be an issue in a Presidential election.

Exactly! I made this point earlier when they were screaming about how bad Sara Palin is to encourage her child to have the baby. But of course, it only applies to republicans, not democrats. Had Obama's mother aborted when she was in the same position, the second coming of their messiah would have never happened!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

It's not, it's just peripheral noise that's die down in a week or so. For the most part discussing it is just entertainment.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
In all seriousness, I dont think either candidate would pick a different VP if they had a second chance. McCain needed a maverick like himself that was also a social conservative and younger, which he got. Obama needed someone with experience to counter his lack of it.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: preslove
The only bad things I've seen about Biden are posted here by wingnuts. None of Biden's recent "gaffes" have made it into the MSM.

Reading all the stuff that has come out about Palin, today alone, makes me suspect that she will bow out for "personal issues." Troopergate is going to get really ugly.

Misspeaking in a speech or getting drunk before a campaign stop don't make headlines, whereas firing your public safety commissioner for not firing your sister's exhusband does.

Troopergate has been going on for awhile in AK. Yet she has high approval ratings and she has cooperated with democrat lead inquiries. Troopergate is about the only thing worth talking about of all these so called scandals. I dont expect much from it. A bunch of talking points for the far left and that is about it.

Feb 10, 2000
I have to believe McCain very well might choose someone else if he had it to do over again - the Palin pick has been roundly criticized as reflecting bad judgment on his part, and her own series of scandals has created an unwelcome distraction. Obviously Obama's pick was a conservative one, but it appears it was based on careful consideration and hasn't really hurt his campaign IMO.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett
In all seriousness, I dont think either candidate would pick a different VP if they had a second chance. McCain needed a maverick like himself that was also a social conservative and younger, which he got.
The Maverick and the Milf:laugh:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
Yet she has high approval ratings and she has cooperated with democrat lead inquiries.
Her approval ratings have dropped from the much touted 80%-90% to around 65% recently because of Troopergate. There are many Republicans involved in the investigation as well.

I dont expect much from it. A bunch of talking points for the far left and that is about it.
The lead investigator has been interviewed as saying they found phone-call and e-mail evidence between Palin and her former public safety commissioner that provides evidence of wrongdoing. All the country needs is even a hint of bad news regarding corruption and she'll completely implode and take McSame's campaign with her.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Let's wait until after the convention and ask this question again.

Are we seriously going to disqualify a candidate because of the actions of their children?

And what is worse?
The candidate of 'family values' has a daughter who got pregnant
or
The candidate of "change" with an anti-lobbyist message bought his house with the help of a lobbyist.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Yet she has high approval ratings and she has cooperated with democrat lead inquiries.
Her approval ratings have dropped from the much touted 80%-90% to around 65% recently because of Troopergate. There are many Republicans involved in the investigation as well.

I dont expect much from it. A bunch of talking points for the far left and that is about it.
The lead investigator has been interviewed as saying they found phone-call and e-mail evidence between Palin and her former public safety commissioner that provides evidence of wrongdoing. All the country needs is even a hint of bad news regarding corruption and she'll completely implode and take McSame's campaign with her.
Really now????

Obama BOUGHT his house with the help of a now convicted felon!!!! If that is not a "hint" of corruption then what is???

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
And what is worse?
The candidate of 'family values' has a daughter who got pregnant
or
The candidate of "change" with an anti-lobbyist message bought his house with the help of a lobbyist.
or
The maverick who voted with Bush 90% of the time over the last eight years, flip-flopped on issues like the Bush tax cut so he could conform to party lines, and wants to continue Bush's policies for the next four years by running as a candidate of "change".

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Unlike you I prefer to wait until all the facts are vetted. And you should change your last line to all the leftwing loonbats need is a hint of bad news regarding corruptions and they will display their lack of thinking over and over and make mountains out of molehills.