If John Boehner Made Deal Paul Ryan Did, Conservatives Would’ve Called For His Head

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
You must of missed my post, Republicans got the 40 year old ban on oil exports lifted. Thats huge IMO, and as I asked before why? As we are still reliant on imports this make no sense.

from my linked story:

Even the lone GOP victory, ending the ban on U.S. oil exports, was matched by the extension of green energy tax credits.

"lone: having no companions; solitary or single"

So the single thing the GOP got, the reps had to give away more tax credits for.

To say this was a compromise is to be stupid.

Dems got just about everything they wanted, GOP, wow meaningless oil exports? Ya compromise. /s

Feb 4, 2009
from my linked story:

So the single thing the GOP got, the reps had to give away more tax credits for.

Dems got just about everything they wanted, GOP, wow meaningless oil exports? Ya compromise. /s

I'm interested what would your ideal compromise be, what gained and what given up on?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
from my linked story:

Yeah that's what happens when you read from shitty sources, you get an incomplete picture.

Try again.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
from my linked story:

Linked from the same page of Anschutz' rag-

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/mcconnell-senate-has-been-restored-to-high-purpose/article/2578782

McConnell obviously isn't a real Republican, I suppose...

Right ravers need to see themselves as others see them. For the Repub leadership, they're good fuckin' but way too crazy to give 'em what they really want. Soooo... use 'em and abuse 'em, pump 'em until you have to dump 'em.

Yeh, I know they said "I love you" all along so the right fringe has good reason to be upset. Tell you what- get all worked up into a complete snit & make Donald the Repub nominee. That'll show everybody!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Here's a partial list of the things that got funded that many or most Republicans oppose:

Climate Deal
Guest Worker Program
Refugee Resettlement
Sanctuary Cities
Planned Parenthood
Obamacare Tax Freezes

I think this is a big win for the Democrats!

You know what also helps? Having realistic goals.

Stamping your feet demanding you get your way on issues which have no possibility of passing, then slitting your wrists when it doesn't happen is just childish.

GOP has a slim majority, but never had popular support. Neither do they control the veto power.

You seriously think PP funding was ever in any real danger? Obamacare?

If you want a list of stuff the left wants but didn't make it into the bill then visit Bernie's campaign site.

PS. Don't ask Santa for a pony, he can't carry them in the sleigh.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Yeh, I know they said "I love you" all along so the right fringe has good reason to be upset. Tell you what- get all worked up into a complete snit & make Donald the Repub nominee. That'll show everybody!

So long as that destroys the GOP.

Feb 4, 2009
Here's a partial list of the things that got funded that many or most Republicans oppose:

Climate Deal
Guest Worker Program
Refugee Resettlement
Sanctuary Cities
Planned Parenthood
Obamacare Tax Freezes

I think this is a big win for the Democrats!

What would be a fair compromise deal to you Crashtech? What would be gained and what would be compromised?

You may have a great plan, I do feel many who say such deals are crap tend to have no plan for what a good deal is other than I get everything I want. How can anyone say a deal is good or bad when they have no idea what a good deal/compromise looks like.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
What would be a fair compromise deal to you Crashtech? What would be gained and what would be compromised?

You may have a great plan, I do feel many who say such deals are crap tend to have no plan for what a good deal is other than I get everything I want. How can anyone say a deal is good or bad when they have no idea what a good deal/compromise looks like.
I'm not a member of either two parties, so much of what they consider consequential is of little import to me. If you want to dismiss my observations because I haven't formulated my own plan, that's OK with me. My only real aim as an outside observer was to point out what I saw as the unbalanced nature of the so-called compromise.

What budget deals should be about is fiscal responsibility, something which Republicans talk the loudest about yet manage to be even poorer at than their Democrat counterparts, possibly because Repubs are far more averse to tax hikes than Dems, but seem as willing to spend, especially on defense.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So long as that destroys the GOP.

GOP leadership knew who they were sleeping with. They've wooed, nurtured, radicalized & made false promises to the right fringe for decades. Even crazy people catch on eventually.

The law of unintended consequences looms large in all of this. "We built this!" applies in ways that leadership never contemplated.

It's always been about creating & exploiting divisiveness to promote the fortunes of the lootocracy & that's what's been accomplished. It couldn't last forever.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I'm interested what would your ideal compromise be, what gained and what given up on?

I can answer. Total repeal of Obamacare, designation of Planned Parenthood as a terrorist group, elimination of estate tax, elimination of welfare, and 2x increase in military spending

In exchange, Republicans wont shut the government or crater the world economy by defaulting on the national debt.

Isn't this how compromise in divided government works?