If Iran's president were killed ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: eits
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
To answer the question in the OP:

I don?t think his military would start a war with the US over this. But their terrorist friends might step up their attacks.

I don?t think killing him is a good solution. Replace the devil you know with the devil you don?t know, not a good idea.

he doesn't have terrorist friends. his boss might, but he doesn't.

I think that distinction is irrelevant to the scope of their response. Moreover, what is the assertion here, is it one of innocence?

it's not irrelevant, jackalass... it's a response telling john not to be careless in his assessment of who has the terrorist friends.

YOUR question to ME is the irrelevant one.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Aimster
He is not the leader of Iran.
He is a nobody.

The media makes him into a somebody.

The media and the politicians in this country who are trying to drum up support for attacking Iran. Unfortunately, they may just be able to do it. Apparently there are still plenty of sheep who are willing to blindly follow this administration into yet another war despite the complete bungle that is Iraq.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I was thinking that it was a cut off the head of the snake type situation , but it seems to be more complex than that.

The world has not been that simple since the days of Kings. If you?re referring specifically to the country of Iran, what nation isn?t prepared for the successor to their current leader? Worse in this case scenario, it?s the religious leaders who truly run that country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Leader_of_Iran

Islamic Supremacism is a Hydra. Cutting off a head is only symbolic, it is the body ? the ideology that carries them through.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
I was thinking that it was a cut off the head of the snake type situation , but it seems to be more complex than that.

The world has not been that simple since the days of Kings. If you?re referring specifically to the country of Iran, what nation isn?t prepared for the successor to their current leader? Worse in this case scenario, it?s the religious leaders who truly run that country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Leader_of_Iran

Islamic Supremacism is a Hydra. Cutting off a head is only symbolic, it is the body ? the ideology that carries them through.

omg, you really are dumb as hell, aren't you?... ism.

almost the entire country rejects the ideology... as we who know what we're talking about have tried telling you many times.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I don?t think his military would start a war with the US over this. But their terrorist friends might step up their attacks.

I don?t think killing him is a good solution. Replace the devil you know with the devil you don?t know, not a good idea.

I think that distinction is irrelevant to the scope of their response. Moreover, what is the assertion here, is it one of innocence?

it's not irrelevant, jackalass... it's a response telling john not to be careless in his assessment of who has the terrorist friends.

He's part of the Iranian government. The Iranian government itself is a czar of terrorism from Hezbollah in Lebanon to the Taliban in Pakistan. Trying to distance the President from that is irrelevant to the subject. Whether it?s Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who commands them will not change their response.

Moreover, what basis do you have for saying he isn?t friends with radicals? He himself is one.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

He's part of the Iranian government. The Iranian government itself is a czar of terrorism from Hezbollah in Lebanon to the Taliban in Pakistan. Trying to distance the President from that is irrelevant to the subject. Whether it?s Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who commands them will not change their response.

Moreover, what basis do you have for saying he isn?t friends with radicals? He himself is one.

where the hell is the proof of that?

and ahmadinejad doesn't control shit. just stfu... seriously. you're just talking out of your ass again.

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
A-dumb-a-job took part in the attack on our US Embassy when the Marines and other officials were attacked and held hostage. He is a war criminal as far as I am concerned. He does not deserve diplomatic immunity, and President Clinton should not let him step one foot on our soil. If he gets shot, that will just be poetic justice. Iran is already at war with the USA, you just dont know it.

Just for your information, the CIA's opinion is that he has never taken part to it....

Quote:

CNN has reported from multiple official sources[1] the result of a CIA investigation into whether Ahmedinejad was involved in the hostage taking:

A CIA report has determined with "relative certainty" that Iran's new president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, was not involved in the taking of U.S. hostages 26 years ago, three government officials told CNN... Another U.S. official said the tone of the report is that there is no evidence to date that the new Iranian president was among those who held U.S. diplomats hostage.[1]

The CNN report continues stating that "CIA analysis of a photograph of one of the hostage-takers determined that the man was not Ahmadinejad."[1]

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: Tango
A-dumb-a-job took part in the attack on our US Embassy when the Marines and other officials were attacked and held hostage. He is a war criminal as far as I am concerned. He does not deserve diplomatic immunity, and President Clinton should not let him step one foot on our soil. If he gets shot, that will just be poetic justice. Iran is already at war with the USA, you just dont know it.

Just for your information, the CIA's opinion is that he has never taken part to it....

Quote:

CNN has reported from multiple official sources[1] the result of a CIA investigation into whether Ahmedinejad was involved in the hostage taking:

A CIA report has determined with "relative certainty" that Iran's new president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, was not involved in the taking of U.S. hostages 26 years ago, three government officials told CNN... Another U.S. official said the tone of the report is that there is no evidence to date that the new Iranian president was among those who held U.S. diplomats hostage.[1]

The CNN report continues stating that "CIA analysis of a photograph of one of the hostage-takers determined that the man was not Ahmadinejad."[1]

huh... i did not know that.

link?

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Tango

Quote:

huh... i did not know that.

link?

Wikipedia, then follow the links...

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

and ahmadinejad doesn't control shit. just stfu... seriously. you're just talking out of your ass again.

Iranian weapons in Taliban hands has been news all over the place. Do you only listen to what you like to hear?

http://www.google.com/search?h...ban&btnG=Google+Search

I never said he "controlled shit". Why do you spout that crap by which you make me your strawman?

imported_Tango

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005

Iranian weapons in Taliban hands has been news all over the place. Do you only listen to what you like to hear?

http://www.google.com/search?h...ban&btnG=Google+Search

I never said he "controlled shit". Why do you spout that crap by which you make me your strawman?

People are really getting out of control with this War on Terror charade. I honestly can't stand all this non-sense fear anymore.

So they found Iranian made weapons in Iraq? Wow, that's some news! How about the 90% of Russian-made weapons the guerrilla is using in Iraq? Does it mean Russia is involved?

Do you know where the weapons used in the Rwanda massacre came from? What about the Angola civil war? Did it mean the nations where those weapons were fabricated were directly involved in those conflicts?

Hint: weapons trafficking is the second largest organized crime source of revenues in the world. I have personally seen guerrilla forces in the Caprivi strip using American weapons in the early 90s. Was the US government supporting the Namibian guerrilla?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Assassinating Ahmadinejad would be a mistake, especially on US soil. Besides, the real powers, and the sources of our problems, are the Mullahs.

The best we can hope for in Iran is a popular uprising that leads to a coup that installs liberal, modern, and sensible new leadership.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Assassinating Ahmadinejad would be a mistake, especially on US soil. Besides, the real powers, and the sources of our problems, are the Mullahs.

The best we can hope for in Iran is a popular uprising that leads to a coup that installs liberal, modern, and sensible new leadership.

that's the first logical thing i've ever heard you say...

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

& Iran's mullahs are a threat to you how?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

The mullahs in Iran collectively represent a bankrupt and fundamentalist ideology whose survival depends on both internal oppression and expansion of a stone-age ideology. They directly control the Revolutionary Guard, Hezbollah, and Iran's research in nuclear weaponry - three items that directly effect the safety and stability of the entire ME region, and beyond.

next question?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003

The mullahs in Iran collectively represent a bankrupt and fundamentalist ideology whose survival depends on both internal oppression and expansion of a stone-age ideology. They directly control the Revolutionary Guard, Hezbollah, and Iran's research in nuclear weaponry - three items that directly effect the safety and stability of the entire ME region, and beyond.

next question?

Hezbollah and Iran's research of nuclear technology are not a threat to the U.S.

Iran is an instability in the region? The U.S has invaded two nations in that region and you say Iran is an instability?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
There is no evidence of an Iranian Nuclear Weapons program. None!
Are you sure about that? Or, are you only sure that there has yet to be a public disclosure of such evidence?

you certainly speak in terms of absolutes... what type of "evidence" would you require?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Hezbollah and Iran's research of nuclear technology are not a threat to the U.S.

Iran is an instability in the region? The U.S has invaded two nations in that region and you say Iran is an instability?

Would you trust Hamas or Hezbollah to have access to any type of nuclear material?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper

Would you trust Hamas or Hezbollah to have access to any type of nuclear material?

Iran doesn't give WMD to Hezbollah or Hamas.

It has chemical weapons and neither of those groups has any of it.

It is the U.S who gives it to nations to use on people fighting for their lives.

TonyB

May 31, 2001
Irans government isnt like the united states. There is no real checks and balances, the president of iran, Ahmadinejad is elected by the people yes, but he has no real power. He is more like a figurehead and spokesperson of the country. The person who is at the top is Supreme Leader Grand Ayatolla Ali Khamenei. this guy is elected by a private islamic assembly and he holds power over the armed forces as well as judiciary (law making body).

basically if you're going to take anyone out, take out the Grand Ayatolla, the president and vice president of Iran or merely puppets with strings. lets say you did take out the president, there would be major international outcry and it would be regarded as an act of war. the US government has already expressed that they do not wish to invade Iran, Ahmadinejad knows this, which is why he has the balls to walk into the country (from invitation of the United Nations) and use the laws of freedom of speech in the US to his favor (deliever propaganda).

Iranian people are smart, they know what they are doing. I had a highschool buddy of Iranian descent who immigrate from iran and he got perfect scores on his SAT and got accepted to Harvard. I know that doesnt constitute their entire population, but they're not as dumb as most Americans make them out to be either from ignorance or just short-sightedness.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Are you sure about that? Or, are you only sure that there has yet to be a public disclosure of such evidence?

you certainly speak in terms of absolutes... what type of "evidence" would you require?

The IAEA saying otherwise. They are the only ones who can know one way or the other.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

The IAEA saying otherwise. They are the only ones who can know one way or the other.
That is, if they're shown the truth to begin with...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

That is, if they're shown the truth to begin with...

They are the only ones who can determine the situation. Anyone else who insists that the Program exists is:

a) Making a wild guess
b) Lying

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Khan's nuclear weapons proliferation is widely known to have gone to North Korea, Libya, and Iran. It would be surprising to find Iran was the only one on that list who did not use nuclear weapons assistance for nuclear weapons.