If I'm exposed to chicken pocks, but have had them in the past, am I a carrier??

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
My son has a powerful case of the chicken pocks. He looks like one big red dot.
I've had the chicken pocks so I'm not worried about catching them, but I do have some plans in the next few days that puts me in contact with other kids.

If I've had the chicken pocks but have been exposed to them am I a potential risk to others for any length of time? I'd feel bad if I started spreading the pocks around.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Dunno. I got a call today that one of my kids was exposed to pox. It takes two weeks to show symptoms.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
PAWKS!!! ;)

As far as I know, no, you can't be a carrier. In order to be a carrier, you'd have to have the live virus inside your body. Since your body carries a natural antibody against the virus that causes chicken pox, due to your earlier exposure & sickness, the virus wouldn't last in your body long enough to be a carrier. :)

Of course, I'm no doctor.....and I didn't spend last night in a Holiday Inn.....but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

fongo888

Feb 21, 2005
Don't they have a shot for pox?
I got pox twice =( once when I was 5 and another time when I was 13.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: fongo888
Don't they have a shot for pox?
I got pox twice =( once when I was 5 and another time when I was 13.

Yes, and my son had the shot :confused:

Even weirder, he has it worse then anyone else! My 2 girls had it....a month ago? Around that. They didnt have it very badly at all. But my son...Whoa buddy. Hes got a full blown case of the Pawkxs

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
If you have had it, you most like won't get it again unless you become immunocompromised or if the antibodies specific for chicken pox is reduced in your body.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
If your 100% sure you had chicken pox then it is very unlikely for you to become a carrier or for you to get it again..

Cases of chicken pox after the immunization (Given at 12-15months of age) are also rare but some cases have been showing up. CDC is not sure if this is due to Vaccine failure (poor handling) or waxing immunity from the immunization. New recommendation is to get 2 shots of Varicella (Chicken pox) instead of one.

Exceptions are if you developed Zoster (Shingles), usually a complication of Chickenpox infection, the virus becomes dormant in one of your nerve roots and flares up usually when your immunity is down. Looks like Chicken pox vesicles but usually localized to one area and painful.

I also stayed at the Holiday Inn last night!!