If I wanted to power shark head lasers, should I use nuclear fission or nuclear fusion?

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
^ skorpio is 100% correct. More available fuel. Much cleaner, environmentally friendly. The only draw back may be power density. While hydrogen fusion is >> any fission per "atom", fuel density and machinery is likely a problem unless, of course, we go Steam-Punk.

Edit: Nice links

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
And its always good to be environmentally friendly when you are firing off your shark head lasers.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Yes it is Thebobo. Really, shortylickens should really have the sharks with electromagnetic rail-guns shooting Payara. Lasers are so yesterday.

Reactions: Thebobo

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Fusion>Fission.... everyone know this. ;) Of course proper mechanisms to controlling fusion reactions needs to be developed.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Nuclear_Fission_vs_Nuclear_Fusion

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a8914/why-dont-we-have-fusion-power-15480435/

Interesting I remember reading Time Life books and Popular science mags some 40 years ago that said Fusion is 10 years away. They also said biological computers, forgot what they called them, were not far off.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Interesting I remember reading Time Life books and Popular science mags some 40 years ago that said Fusion is 10 years away. They also said biological computers, forgot what they called them, were not far off.

If only we put real money into fusion research.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
When someone says it is 10 years away in journalism, that means only if it actually works, and if we give it unlimited money, and we get people who know how to bring products to market rather than some inventor who's sole life purpose is to tweak his baby project.

When someone says it is 20 years away in journalism means that it probably will never happen no matter what.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I say go with fission. While fusion may be theoretically better, you need these sharks to be deadly now. Plus, it is bad design to implement so many unproven technologies at once. To be realistic we need to limit the shark modifications to only a few critical changes at a time. Then you can come out with shark laser 2.0 later. The shark secondary dorsal fin chafing issue is far more critical than the power source right now.

Reactions: Thebobo and ctbaars

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'd just tape some electrodes to the shark body, a cathode and anode. The salt water would be the electrolyte. Essentially they'd be swimming inside the battery that is powering it. Unlimited POWER!

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Definitely use a molten salt reactor. Here is Bruce Hoglund explaining in great detail. Do NOT skip to 50:38.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
They also said biological computers, forgot what they called them, were not far off.

Those are children, but I don't see what the big deal is. Wolfram Alpha is about as easy to talk to and it shits its pants less often.

Reactions: Thebobo

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Neither. You cover the sharks with tiny turbines that spin as they pass through the water, they power generators and the sharks swimming motion charges the lasers. Hydroelectric shark lasers, for a greener tomorrow.

While I appreciate your environmentally friendly approach I would be concerned about recharge time. My enemies are numerous so I'm going to need those lasers to fire quickly and often. Once they're dead their carbon footprint drops off pretty quickly so I think that still might be a better option in the end anyway

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Who needs lasers when you can have sharks with missiles, now.

atomic-shark.jpg

https://horrorpedia.com/2014/07/14/...e-griff-furst-cast-plot-review-trailer-promo/

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If you want something you could use today, go with a thermionic converter powered by radioactive decay. It's what NASA used for most of its probes.

But if we're talking completely pie-in-the-sky theoretical, I'd go with a microscopic black hole. Something big enough that it wouldn't evaporate too quickly. That's what the Romulans used for their cruisers.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
While I appreciate your environmentally friendly approach I would be concerned about recharge time. My enemies are numerous so I'm going to need those lasers to fire quickly and often. Once they're dead their carbon footprint drops off pretty quickly so I think that still might be a better option in the end anyway

If you have that many enemies you need to re-evaluate your lifestyle and resort to SoMD.