If i want to be a Network Engineer, shouldn't I be in Computer Engineering????

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
Then how come when I look at job ads for Network Engineering, they ask for people with a Computer Science degree instead of people with a Computer Engineering degree? Is a CmpE degree adequate for Network Engineering?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
How many network engineers do you think start out as network engineers? Not too many.

Most start out as techs or help desk reps and then work their way up. A CS degree would be most helpful, though not essential, for this path.

Computer Engineering is actually designing circuits and the nitty gritty things that make computers work.

Network Engineers take the technologies that CE's develop, and make it hook together.

Think of CE's as being on the micro level, and NE's being on the macro level.

CE's work on minute details, while NE's network/administrate corporate wide systems.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Take a look at a college catalog to get an idea of the different classes CprE and CS students would take. That will probably give you a better of idea of what each one does.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Yes, a network engineer doesn't actually desing routers, atleast i don't think they do. Computer engineers would probably be the people who design the circuits for routers. Network engineers just actually use the existin hardware and setup a network i believe.

There are also alot of names for Network Engineer, such as an IT professional just as some CS programmers are called Software Engineers.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Computer Engineering is actually designing circuits and the nitty gritty things that make computers work. >>

Err.. not quite. Granted, you learn about some of those things but Computer Engineers do a very wide range of things.

If you want to be &quot;Network Engineer&quot;, Computer Engineering is most definitely not for you.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
hahah yes, i don't think Network engineers would need to go through 2-3 semesters of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, circuits and plus a year of physics.

Tommy2000GT

Golden Member
Jun 19, 2000
I don't really want to be a network engineer but I was just curious why they call it network &quot;engineering&quot; if it's not part of computer engineering.

What exactly does a computer engineer do? Design video cards, sound cards, motherboards, etc...?