If I know something about a crime, am I obligated to say anything?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rike

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
Just call up the anonymous tip line. I also think there is some kind of charge for knowledge of a felony and not reporting it. Not sure though.

Originally posted by: alkemyst
Knowing about a crime and not reporting is illegal /thread.

Not in any U.S. jurisdiction. Unless, . . .

Originally posted by: waggy
can you show us? i don't htink it is unless you are a mandated reporter.

If you are a mandated reporter, you would know it.

A felony or misdemeanor could kick in if you took deliberate action to conceal the crime in some way.

For example, a neighbor down the street has an ugly van illegally parked on the street. We have a 72 hour parking ordinance in our city and the van has been there for years. I drive by this "crime scene" every day. I commit no crime by not reporting it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Knowing about a crime and not reporting is illegal /thread.

can you show us? i don't htink it is unless you are a mandated reporter.

google for the loss.

mandated reporter is a broad category.

My reply was a bit broad...it's really a case by case deal...in general one would hope someone reports crimes they witness.

As a casual observer, not much can be done against you. Have a roomie running a meth lab out of his room, then perhaps more.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: danzigrules
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: smack Down
Just a heads up but I wouldn't assume the anonymous tip line is anonymous.

And as always if you do talk to the police remember that they are liars so don't trust a word coming out of their mouth.

It is if you don't say your name.

I am positive that they don't have caller id, or anything like that in this day and age....

Never heard of a phone booth? Are they totally obsolete nowadays?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

And as always if you do talk to the police remember that they are liars so don't trust a word coming out of their mouth.

I am positive that they don't have caller id, or anything like that in this day and age....

Ever seen the movie?

:D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
why are people afraid that an anonymous tip may not be anonymous in the end anyway....do they think the PO-PO is going to run down to the hood and shout out "HEY THAT FUCKER XXXXXX JUST CALLED US ABOUT JO-JO LET'S GIT'M"

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: slugg
TIME WARPED OP RIGHT HERE

I was not involved in a crime, however I do know something important (I know the person/people who DID the crime, and how he/she/they did it). What am I supposed to do?

Because of a bad history of how he/she/they treated me, I'm more inclined to divulge information. I just don't want anyone knowing where it came from. At this time I still don't know if I want to say anything, though.

So what should I do?

Screw them over :thumbsup:

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Or buy a $20 prepaid cell phone with cash.