if I have a slideshow DVD, is there a way to extrapolate the still images?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
DVD obviously has .vob files on it, but is there a way to "Deconstruct" so I can ge the still images themselves?

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
My aunt wanted to do the same thing with a DVD her friend made. Would want to know if this is possible as well.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The only thing I can think of is just using the pause button and taking the jpg that way, but that seems BEYOND tedious and doesn't seem like you'd get solid quality

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Homerboy
The only thing I can think of is just using the pause button and taking the jpg that way, but that seems BEYOND tedious and doesn't seem like you'd get solid quality

Exactly, I told her that and she nixed the idea right away. I thought maybe DVDShrink could extrapolate the files though but it didn't seem to work.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
WinDVD has a function that allows you to press a hotkey and dump a screen capture to a pre-defined directory (I think it defaults to C:\DVD). I had to do this to get a picture from our wedding album DVD where the dumb photographer put one picture ONLY on the DVD slideshow, and deleted the original image.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
what was the quality like?
I guess technically as good as it was going to get hey? It's taking the resolution off the DVD not necessarily the current display resolution.

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
what was the quality like?
I guess technically as good as it was going to get hey? It's taking the resolution off the DVD not necessarily the current display resolution.

Yes, it's the DVD resolution, but then again it will come out at 720x480, regardless of what size the original image was.

In other words, it was crap.