• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

If I change the bios chip what disasters can happen?

Owen K

Feb 23, 2018
I am having issues with my system ( see thread Asrock Z87 pro4 is it dying ?? ) . As a last resort I am going to change the bios chip. I have ordered the appropriate chip from Bios depot on ebay. If I carefully remove the cmos battery , then the bios chip which appears to be socketed onto the board rather than soldered and then insert the new bios chip from Bios depot, then replace the cmos battery. What permanent damage can I do to the board ? It seems to me that if it doesn't work I should be able to reverse the process and end up back where I am now. Am I wrong in this assumption ? Would this be the correct sequence to follow or should I go about it differently ? Should I remove the PCIE card and use onboard video when I give this a go ? I have an Asrock Z87 pro4 board with an i5 4670 cpu , 2x4gb corsair DDR3 and a Geforce GTX 1060 3gb running Win10 64bit on a Kingston 120gb SSD with storage on 2 x WDC 500gb drives.
Many thanks
Owen

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i dont think u will run into any problems.

At worse, if u have a wrong chip or bad chip, the system will hang at post, or will not post at all.

Reactions: Owen K

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Disconnect the PSU, pull the battery, then change the chip, The new chip will have all settings set to their defaults, so you'll have to change things to what you need.

And yes, reversing the procedure will get you back to where you are now (but, again, with a BIOS settings at their defaults).

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
Picture would be nice, as most boards have the bios soldered on. Make sure the bios chip has the original bios, or a bios revision prior to what you are using now.

Owen K

Feb 23, 2018
Thanks for the replies.
Seems to be a reasonable idea then ,so I will give it a go when I get the chip.
To be honest I will be surprised if it sorts out my issues but I think it is about all I can do short of a new system.
Many thanks
Owen

elilama

Dec 4, 2018
I have a question question that may help me solve a problem that I have with my Folio 1040 G2.
I had a motherboard shot circuit and the network and sound stopped working. I bought a motherboard in the internet that works perfectly with windows 10, but has a problem, its bios is locked and I cannot update it.
I think that the solution would be to ‘transplant’ the unlocked Bios from the ‘old’ motherboard to the ‘new’ motherboard.

Do you think that will it work?

Thanks in advance

ASK THE COMMUNITY