If I activate a GSM phone (Nexus 5) on a CDMA network (Verizon) what will/not work

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
LTE wont work unless you live in NYC or other places that Verizon is utilizing Band 4. Though .. we couldn't keep to the Nexus5 thread?

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Nothing will work, especially in your area. Verizon isn't deploying AWS LTE around here and the CDMA radio won't activate on Verizon's system so you won't get voice or 3G data. If you were in an area with AWS LTE, that might work, but you'd have no voice capability outside of VoIP.

As has been pointed out numerous times in numerous other threads, if you were holding out for a VZW-compatible Nexus you were wasting your time.

Maybe, MAYBE, next year's Nexus will work out for you, provided Verizon rolls out VoLTE network-wide and provided Google supports it in AOSP.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
You won't be activating it at all?

Verizon doesn't have EDGE. It has 1X, which is a bit faster and CDMA. You *might* be able to throw in a SIM and have LTE data working on it if it has the right bands...probably not though.

Feb 19, 2001
I don't even get what this question is asking. It won't register on their network because you have to call them to manually whitelist your phone based on ESN. If it was as simple as putting a SIM in, then the Nexus 7 users would be on Verizon already.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
If it was as simple as putting a SIM in, then the Nexus 7 users would be on Verizon already.
Actually, I believe they are, as long as it's an already-active Verizon SIM that's swapped in.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Nexus 5 supports CDMA band 0 which is voice part so at least you can make calls. And LTE will work in areas that have band 4 active which is not much.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
When my brother-in-law's Nexus 5 comes in I will test my Verizon sim to see if I can get it to connect to their AWS LTE in San Diego since I know it's already live here.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Nexus 5 supports CDMA band 0 which is voice part so at least you can make calls. And LTE will work in areas that have band 4 active which is not much.

On the CDMA side, it doesn't matter what bands or protocols are supported. If your ESN isn't approved in Verizon's system, Voice and CDMA data simply aren't going to work.

The Nexus 7 is usable on Verizon if you activate your SIM in another device, but only on LTE. It won't fall back to EVDO.

Feb 19, 2001
Actually, I believe they are, as long as it's an already-active Verizon SIM that's swapped in.

Ah ok, so they just weren't activating new Nexus 7s. You had to work around.

Well I suppose you can do that for the N5 IF Verizon is lighting up Band 4 LTE in your area. Otherwise, no CDMA functions will work unless Verizon manually approves your ESN as the above poster said.