If GPU dies are getting smaller, why are graphics cards getting bigger?

dpk33

Mar 6, 2011
I remember when I owned one of the older AGP cards (9600se), it was almost 6 inches long. Then I owned a 9600gt and a 4870 which were around the same length (almost 8 inches?). And then I owned a massive 6950 which was like 13 inches i believe? I'm not sure, but each generation of graphics cards i've owned have gotten progressively bigger. Is there a reason for this when the gpu dies are shrinking and producing less heat, using less power, etc?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
dpk33, you might actually want to read some reviews. cards are more power hungry than ever. mid range cards consume as much as very end high cards did a few years ago. some current high end cards even have to use safety features to prevent full usage during Furmark.

dpk33

Mar 6, 2011
Really? I always related die shrinks to less heat and power consumptions? Or is that just for CPUs? Or am I completely mistaken?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Really? I always related die shrinks to less heat and power consumptions? Or is that just for CPUs? Or am I completely mistaken?
well if they shrink the process itself 30% but still end up adding 50-60% or more stuff to the chip it actually gets bigger an more power hungry.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not going to lock this thread for being the "repost" that it is, but I will leave a link to the last time we had this discussion in VC&G for the benefit of the author of this thread.

Video cards do get smaller, and do use less power, but the flagship halo-tier type products are not.

They are becoming larger and more power-hungry as the technology for dealing with the heat and the power-supply are improved in parallel.

But one need look no further than the discreet mobile chips that see where performance has markedly improved over the years on a TDP-normalized basis.

kaigai-09.jpg

kaigai-13.jpg

m3t4lh34d

Oct 23, 2008
When you're able to pack more architecture into the same size area, of course the power consumption and heat will increase. The areas where they claim to use less power and heat are the budget and mainstream solutions that do not require massive improvements in performance to satisfy the end user, and therefore use less heat

ransomlist

Sep 12, 2011
Because of the need for beefier cooling and power req's that need more space used for that side of things; as someone above has mentioned, GPU's for gaming arent representative of the normal use which these days would be mobile.

If you want lower profile, go for full cover WC blocks.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I remember when I owned one of the older AGP cards (9600se), it was almost 6 inches long. Then I owned a 9600gt and a 4870 which were around the same length (almost 8 inches?). And then I owned a massive 6950 which was like 13 inches i believe? I'm not sure, but each generation of graphics cards i've owned have gotten progressively bigger. Is there a reason for this when the gpu dies are shrinking and producing less heat, using less power, etc?

Per transistor, every die shrink makes GPU's cooler and produce less heat. However, overall GPU dies are getting bigger - ATI and AMD are taking advantage of the smaller transistors and packing more and more of them into their GPUs. The cards are getting longer and more complex because they consume more power now than ever before.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
dpk33, you might actually want to read some reviews. cards are more power hungry than ever. mid range cards consume as much as very end high cards did a few years ago. some current high end cards even have to use safety features to prevent full usage during Furmark.

Pretty much this. Die size has gone down by power consumption/heat output has gone up a lot.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
Those charts are great. The power consumption issue I think is most attributed to the increase in clock speeds. The performance per die area has increased immensely of course, but the willingness to push the clocks has too in the performance brackets of graphics processors, especially with Nvidia when they introduced independent shader domain clocks beginning with the 8000 series. One also has to remember the need for more transistors as unified architecture came about and GPGPU features for use beyond graphics have been piled on.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Those charts are great. The power consumption issue I think is most attributed to the increase in clock speeds. The performance per die area has increased immensely of course, but the willingness to push the clocks has too in the performance brackets of graphics processors, especially with Nvidia when they introduced independent shader domain clocks beginning with the 8000 series. One also has to remember the need for more transistors as unified architecture came about and GPGPU features for use beyond graphics have been piled on.
clocks have hardly moved for Nvidia. in fact their shader processor speeds are actually slower now than some of the 65nm and 55nm g92 cards. so really clock speeds to die shrink ratio are getting slower not faster in many cases.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Nice chart. Looks like Nvidia has already stopped increasing die sizes even at the high end, So I imagine AMD will also stop increasing in size for their high end cards in the not too distant future.

I'm sure they'd like to reduce their size and except for possibly the top chip (Tahiti?) they likely will.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Then I owned a 9600gt and a 4870 which were around the same length (almost 8 inches?). And then I owned a massive 6950 which was like 13 inches i believe?

just a little item to add.

The 9600GT was a mid ranged card, so mid ranged size needed (ie: lower end cards can get away with being "half height" if need be, but I diegress).

The 6950 IIRC is a CrossFire on a single card, so two GPUs on one board. It is a bit of a exception when looking at the change in card sizes over the years.

As to how large they can go, the spec for add on cards I think is rather well set from many years ago. Going full length/dual slot is happening, but you run into issues, physically, in mounting that card into a average case.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
6950 is not a dual gpu card. with google around you do not have to remember correctly. ;)

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Is there a reason for this when the gpu dies are shrinking and producing less heat, using less power, etc?

gpu dies are producing more heat and using more power.

they are only getting more efficient per watt.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
maybe because they're getting more complex even though they use a smaller die construction.