If computer is left idle during restart it won't let me click on my user icon to finish logging in

Wekiva

Feb 13, 2001
Several weeks ago I noticed that when I restarted my computer it would stop at the screen where I click on my user name and then am prompted to enter my password to continue logging in...it doesn't lock up...just won't let me click on my user name. But this would only happen if I left the room during the reboot process and the computer sat at the log in screen for a while. If I sit there and click on my user name right away there is no problem...only when it sits at that screen for a while. Other than that the computer runs fine.

When this happens the mouse works since you can see the arrow moving around. It's just that your user name no longer becomes clickable.

Then last night my aunt called me and described the exact same problem with her computer. These two computers are totally unrelated so I was very surprised. The main difference with her problem is that she can't click on her user name even if she sits there and tries to do it right away. Obviously her situation is worse as her computer is unusable. She can only get to the screen where she clicks on which profile she wants to use. The mouse moves around the screen but the profiles names are no longer clickable.

Any thoughts on either issue?

Thanks

akhilles

Nov 6, 2007
What edition?

Could be corrupt updates or Windows. Should never behave like that under normal circumstances. I can leave my logon screen forever & when I come back to the puter, it'll let me log onto any of the existing accounts.

You can try a repair install. Back up your stuff 1st, though. Just insert the Windows disk & restart pc. When asked, select repair.