"If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself."

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
There's not much comment I can add when Kathleen Parker, a conservative woman slices, dices and thrashes Palin in Bill Krystol's right wing National Review calling on Palin to withdraw from the Republican ticket for the sake of the nation.

Palin Problem
She?s out of her league.

By Kathleen Parker

If at one time women were considered heretical for swimming upstream against feminist orthodoxy, they now face condemnation for swimming downstream ? away from Sarah Palin.

To express reservations about her qualifications to be vice president ? and possibly president ? is to risk being labeled anti-woman.

Or, as I am guilty of charging her early critics, supporting only a certain kind of woman.

Some of the passionately feminist critics of Palin who attacked her personally deserved some of the backlash they received. But circumstances have changed since Palin was introduced as just a hockey mom with lipstick ? what a difference a financial crisis makes ? and a more complicated picture has emerged.

As we?ve seen and heard more from John McCain?s running mate, it is increasingly clear that Palin is a problem. Quick study or not, she doesn?t know enough about economics and foreign policy to make Americans comfortable with a President Palin should conditions warrant her promotion.

Yes, she recently met and turned several heads of state as the United Nations General Assembly convened in New York. She was gracious, charming and disarming. Men swooned. Pakistan?s president wanted to hug her. (Perhaps Osama bin Laden is dying to meet her?)

And, yes, she has common sense, something we value. And she?s had executive experience as a mayor and a governor, though of relatively small constituencies (about 6,000 and 680,000, respectively).

Finally, Palin?s narrative is fun, inspiring and all-American in that frontier way we seem to admire. When Palin first emerged as John McCain?s running mate, I confess I was delighted. She was the antithesis and nemesis of the hirsute, Birkenstock-wearing sisterhood ? a refreshing feminist of a different order who personified the modern successful working mother.

Palin didn?t make a mess cracking the glass ceiling. She simply glided through it.

It was fun while it lasted.

Palin?s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

No one hates saying that more than I do. Like so many women, I?ve been pulling for Palin, wishing her the best, hoping she will perform brilliantly. I?ve also noticed that I watch her interviews with the held breath of an anxious parent, my finger poised over the mute button in case it gets too painful. Unfortunately, it often does. My cringe reflex is exhausted.

Palin filibusters. She repeats words, filling space with deadwood. Cut the verbiage and there?s not much content there. Here?s but one example of many from her interview with Hannity: ?Well, there is a danger in allowing some obsessive partisanship to get into the issue that we?re talking about today. And that?s something that John McCain, too, his track record, proving that he can work both sides of the aisle, he can surpass the partisanship that must be surpassed to deal with an issue like this.?

When Couric pointed to polls showing that the financial crisis had boosted Obama?s numbers, Palin blustered wordily: ?I?m not looking at poll numbers. What I think Americans at the end of the day are going to be able to go back and look at track records and see who?s more apt to be talking about solutions and wishing for and hoping for solutions for some opportunity to change, and who?s actually done it??

If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.

If Palin were a man, we?d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she?s a woman ? and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket ? we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

What to do?

McCain can?t repudiate his choice for running mate. He not only risks the wrath of the GOP?s unforgiving base, but he invites others to second-guess his executive decision-making ability. Barack Obama faces the same problem with Biden.

Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

That's not me. That's not Liburuhls. That's not Democrats. That's one of their own in one of their own publications.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
she seems to be under the impression that Palin is running for a job that requires more than cutting ribbons and checking the president's pulse every couple days.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'll trump your conservative columnist with Bill Clinton endorsing Mccain.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
she seems to be under the impression that Palin is running for a job that requires more than cutting ribbons and checking the president's pulse every couple days.
She's running for an office that may require certain things, depending on the result of the second duty you mention.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

Parker isn't under any false illusions.

Palin is a public relations nightmare for Republicans. She's an intellectual doof who embarrasses herself, the ticket and the party every time she opens her mouth.

She's definitely running for a job that "requires more than cutting ribbons and checking the president's pulse every couple days." McCain is 72 and a four time cancer survivor. If she's not qualified to be President, she should not be elected to sit a heart beat away from that job.

Originally posted by: lupi
I'll trump your conservative columnist with Bill Clinton endorsing Mccain.

YOU FAIL!

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Considering McCain's age and health issues, she IS running for a job that could very likely require MUCH more.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Vice Presidency is a lot more important now than ever before:
President of the Senate - yes, I know only needed for tie breakers
Head of the Council on Environmental Quality - this is huge, this Council basically sets standards/blesses regulations for EPA , Endangered Species Act implementation, and NEPA (Environmental Impact Statements) for all federal agencies.
Special Envoy to Hither and Yon, where ever the President wants to break arms and twist noses.
Secret Bunker Inspector

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
In truth, it does, especially if the president is incapacitated.

Of course, out of her league is the most clear and unoffensive way to say it, and it's the most accurate. She has experience, she isn't stupid, she is well liked and appears to have accolades to her name in her governership, but when she's there interviewing about national or international issues she is a deer in the headlights. She is patently ignorant of foreign policy and I can only assume her lack of knowledge of anything beyond Alaska is a result of being previously disinterested in it. She would be hopelessly inept in her office, even if that of VP doesn't require a ton.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by: shira

Considering McCain's age and health issues, she IS running for a job that could very likely require MUCH more.

I wouldn't even bother. When The Republican argument amounts to nothing more than 'The Vice President doesn't matter' they have clearly conceded the point.

Aug 24, 2008
I love parker and palin; they're both beautiful and conservative. I can't speak for parker but I would imagine voting for mccain and palin won't be incredibly difficult for her. She once praised bill clinton's voice by saying hillary rains on bill's parade, so based on that and her article, and the fact that she's a journalist, she just doesn't like bad speakers and people who are bad at english.

Parker also doesn't seem to like other women much at all, so that may also explain why she feels about palin the way she does.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
It was only Palin that trashed the elitist media. The smear and attack on her will never stop even after the national election. However, one thing good about this "lipstick'ed" piggy is that she seems to enjoy every minute of every smear and attack thrown on her. Just like the old saying goes, "Don't ever wrestle with a pig; for the more you do the more it enjoys it!" So I'll say keep it coming.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
She is painfully unqualified in the worst ways. She's an utter disaster and the polls will only continue to show that.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Even as a partisan democrat, I do find some things to like about Palin. Nor do I thinks she is just the dumb bimbo some try to paint her as, she is a smart and wily politician who should not be underestimated.

IMHO, the problem is largely the McCain campaign who somewhat thought they could package Sarah Palin as Bimbo Barbie with a Chatty Cathy pull string. Now that this is clearly failed strategy, and her expectations are diminished, look for Palin to break out of that mold.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Jiggz
It was only Palin that trashed the elitist media. The smear and attack on her will never stop even after the national election. However, one thing good about this "lipstick'ed" piggy is that she seems to enjoy every minute of every smear and attack thrown on her. Just like the old saying goes, "Don't ever wrestle with a pig; for the more you do the more it enjoys it!" So I'll say keep it coming.

Did you seriously just lump in the National Review with the 'liberal/elitist media'??? :confused:

I know Buckley is passed and all, but was it really necessary for you to piss on his grave for the sake of your blind partisanship?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005

Do you mean to suggest that the article does not hold truth? Do you suggest that Sarah Palin is actually a good candidate for VP?

I'm sorry, but she has made a complete fool of herself every time she has said anything. She has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she isn't even qualified to lead the PTO, much less the nation.

I don't care how red your brain is, you can't possibly pin this on media backlash. You'd have to be a complete loon to believe that the media is just bullying a very capable VP candidate. She's an idiot!

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I just saw this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc for the first time.

I thought the previous Couric-Palin clips were bad... this is just awful. Somehow the $700B bailout is going to help Americans get tax reductions and get healthcare reform and create jobs and increase trade. :confused:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Balt
I just saw this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8__aXxXPVc for the first time.

I thought the previous Couric-Palin clips were bad... this is just awful. Somehow the $700B bailout is going to help Americans get tax reductions and get healthcare reform and create jobs and increase trade. :confused:

W

T

F

I feel dumber for having heard Palin's answer.

I did not think that was possible.

Harvey

Oct 9, 1999

It was only Palin that trashed the elitist media. The smear and attack on her will never stop even after the national election.

It's not a "smear" if what is said about her is true, both in fact and in context. Palin is her own worst enemy every time she opens her own mouth outside of the self-serving bubble her handlers have built to isolate from the media you call "elitist" for doing their jobs.

Many have noted the similarity of her disjointed ramblings to the air head ditz Miss Teen USA contestant. It's certainly not what I would want or expect from a candidate for President or Vice President of the United States of America. :roll:

Please show us how her incessant public gaffs, off topic diversions and general lack of knowledge and understanding are anything but what they appear to be on their face.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

W

T

F

Ya, until I saw that, I thought people were exagerating.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Imp

W

T

F

Ya, until I saw that, I thought people were exagerating.

That was one of the most pathetic answers I've ever heard a politician give. She can't keep her talking points straight it seems.