If Brand A fails, causing Brand B to fail, will Company A give any reimbursment??

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Lets say you have a motherboard fail, which takes out your video card. Is it possible that the motherboard manufacturer may give you a discount on a video card made by them or in some other way give partial reimbursment for the hardware which failed directly due to the original motherboard failure?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Some UPS companies will pay for damage caused by the failure of their products, but unless a company releases a POS that's killing the systems of everyone who has it, it would be a rare thing for them to pay for other damage caused(not entirely impossible though).

tomstevens26

Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: thorin
Have you got something to lose by trying? Thorin

Time...and probably lots of it. :) As was pointed out by others, it's hard enough getting companies to replace their own products. I can imagine the hoops one would have to jump through to even get a company to consider replacing anothers piece of hardware. Perhaps I'm wrong, but even so, good luck!

Tom

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
Nope. Actually happened to me. Had my Angel painball gun. Got a radio shack car to wall adaptor. Plugged my angel charger into the adaptor and gun into the charger. The adaptor failed, blew up my charger and fried my guns board

CQuinn

Golden Member
May 31, 2000
Can you absolutely prove that the motherboard failure affecting the video card had
absolutely nothing to do with something else in the system, or the way the video card
was installed, or something else the user may have done tweaking the system?

If yes, then you may have a case to try and convince the motherboard manufacturer to your side.

But in the real world, unless you want to send them the whole system as is for them to
examine and determine what may have caused the failure in the video card... then there
is always going to be a reasonable doubt in their minds as to the cause of the problem.
And they will naturally be biased against taking the blame, since they don't have hundreds
of reports of the same thing happenning to other users.

The problem is that for every person that may have a legitimate complaint, there are hundreds of
users who messed up the part thru their own actions (deliberate or accidental) and are trying to
get the manufacturer or vendor to take the hit for the cost of a replacement part.

poppyq

Oct 20, 2003
Your best bet is going to be just RMA each product to their manufacturer or place you bought it from. I was playing Tony Hawk 3 one day, something started smelling funny and *poof* system shut itself down. Wouldn't turn back on. If I turned off the power supply and turned it back on with the switch on it it would attempt to power up but still fail. I replaced the power supply only to learn that it had killed my radeon 9700 pro and (2) 120GB WD 8MB's (they were approx $150 at the time each). Video was all corrupt and the drives wouldn't detect in the BIOS. I RMA'd both drives to WD and had them replaced for free and RMA'd the video card to Newegg and they sent me a new one. Lesson learned, back up often (my most recent backup at the time was about 3 months old which included only main files, not music or others, now I have a 40GB external drive just for backups).

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I went through something similar recently. So I read the warrantry for the items. A standard clause seems to be that thery will not cover damage done to other components. Hence, do what poppyq suggests (which I did at the time of my problem).

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
I think Antec PSUs will warranty hardware damaged if their PSU was at fault. Some UPS and surges do as well.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
I'm going to call the company once I get the new motherboard. I plan on seeing if they offer a trade up program like ATI offers, and see if I can send them my old dead card for a marginal discount on a new one. I wouldnt ask nor expect them to replace my card in full price, but SOMETHING to say "Hey, sorry for the hassle" would be nice. And 50 bucks or so off a 9800XT would be a good start in that direction :)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Is it possible that the motherboard manufacturer may give you a discount on a video card made by them or in some other way give partial reimbursment for the hardware which failed directly due to the original motherboard failure?
Probably not. Most warranties include a clause that basically says the warranty is only responsible for the specific piece of hardware but it doesn't cover other hardware that also breaks if it fails.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Is it possible that the motherboard manufacturer may give you a discount on a video card made by them or in some other way give partial reimbursment for the hardware which failed directly due to the original motherboard failure?
Probably not. Most warranties include a clause that basically says the warranty is only responsible for the specific piece of hardware but it doesn't cover other hardware that also breaks if it fails.

Yeah, I'm not expecting much, but like I said, I feel they've done their part, any more would simply be going the extra mile. Worth a shot anyways.

AnotherGuy

Dec 9, 2003
Yeah... why so much trouble. Just call the company and ask em the same question u asked here... All we doing here is guessing.. company only decides!

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Johnbear007
how could anyone possibly know this? ask your manufacturer

Maybe because of out 100,000+ members I figured someone had been in this situation before or maybe someone worked for a company?