If an iPod dock is compatible with iPod touch, is it also compatible with iPhone?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: TheStu
Originally posted by: mugs
I want to get this one:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall...d+%2D+Black&mfg=IH9B6R

It doesn't say it's compatible with iPhone.

According to the iHome website, all variations of the iH9 (which that is) are compatible with the iPhone. You have to have the iPhone in airplane mode though so that it doesn't cause interference with the speakers.

Ooooh... I don't know if that'll work for me, I'll always forget to switch it back. And I need to be able to get calls when it's docked.

Is that going to be a problem with ALL docks with speakers?

Is it a constant interference, or it it just that noise you hear right before the phone start's ringing (duh dut dut dut... whatever)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
It is not going to be a problem with all of the speaker docks as some of them are properly shielded, the problem is that those that are properly shielded are generally expensive.

As for the next question, it is only while the phone radio is active. So if you are, for example, streaming internet radio then the interference will be there all the time.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It is not going to be a problem with all of the speaker docks as some of them are properly shielded, the problem is that those that are properly shielded are generally expensive.

As for the next question, it is only while the phone radio is active. So if you are, for example, streaming internet radio then the interference will be there all the time.

Well that's not so bad. I just want device that I can use as an alarm clock and an iPhone charger, because this thing needs to be charged daily. Best way to remember to do that is to make it my alarm clock (I currently use my old phone as my alarm clock). The only time it'll ever play anything is in the morning when my alarm is going off.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Ah, the one I was looking at is the iH9, and they also have an iP9 that is shielded for iPhones. Costco has the iP9 for a decent price, so I guess I'll get that.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by: mugs

Well that's not so bad. I just want device that I can use as an alarm clock and an iPhone charger, because this thing needs to be charged daily. Best way to remember to do that is to make it my alarm clock (I currently use my old phone as my alarm clock). The only time it'll ever play anything is in the morning when my alarm is going off.

With the iPhone the cellular radio is active a lot for transferring data 1 or 2kb even when inactive. I think there was a link a while back of some guy getting nailed with International Data charges because of this.

Anyway, the "GSM Buzz" annoys the crap out of me at work while using my desk landline, so I just toss it in airplane mode. IMHO its worth it to get a system that is shielded, especially an alarm clock as you wouldn't want to be woken up at all hours.