if AMD stock dips below the $1B market cap mark, would you be concerned?

shangshang

May 17, 2008
I think I will be. And judging on how bad Dell is doing, I think 2009 will see more pain for tech stock in general. I personally think AMD will drop further, and it's gonna be hard to find additional money like from some rich Saudi prince. It's unfortunate the politicians don't consider most tech stocks to be "too big or too important to fail" (like all those financial stocks and Ford, GM and Chrysler).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Wow simply wow. They purchased ATI and had a cap of about 9 billion what, 30 months ago?

Congrats!

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: shangshang
I think I will be. And judging on how bad Dell is doing, I think 2009 will see more pain for tech stock in general. I personally think AMD will drop further, and it's gonna be hard to find additional money like from some rich Saudi prince. It's unfortunate the politicians don't consider most tech stocks to be "too big or too important to fail" (like all those financial stocks and Ford, GM and Chrysler).

Whole market is in a slump, they have no reason to be any different. It'll rebound, now's the time to buy.

As much as people throw "Company X is doomed!" around, I don't see AMD/NVIDIA/Intel going anywhere.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Right, it's a 10-year low for the US market, why should AMD be exempt?

Now is a good time to buy stock index mutual funds or ETFs, S&P 500 is a good index choice. That way you profit from the rebound without the risk of picking stock in one of the companies that might go under.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Now is a good time to buy stock index mutual funds or ETFs, S&P 500 is a good index choice. That way you profit from the rebound without the risk of picking stock in one of the companies that might go under.

i've already lost enough. i'm sitting on cash and waiting for all the bankruptcies and layoffs to be announced.

most of the banks haven't even announced all their layoffs, GM is going into bankruptcy or defacto bankruptcy and even citigroup is done for.

I have an AMD machine and really think their roadmap looks good, but they are dying from no cash flow, and that huge debt from buying ATI.

AMD is one of those companies, that conceivably could file chp. 11 , reorganize their debt and rework it, and come out of it. but you'd be killed as a stock holder.

i mean they need to sell chips, people are cutting back on everything they dont need. and really a new computer given theres no killer apps in sight, is just as much a luxury as a new car (given cars last much longer these days).

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002
Originally posted by: hans007

i've already lost enough. i'm sitting on cash and waiting for all the bankruptcies and layoffs to be announced.

u crazy man?

Didn't you read how both those guys said "Now" is the time to buy? I'm pretty sure that on Monday the market will rebound and you would have made a killing if you bought in today.
Why bother worrying about what will happen next year? I'm pretty sure everything will work itself out just like on those 30 minute tv shows that wrap up everyone's problem by the end of the episode.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: edplayer

u crazy man?

Didn't you read how both those guys said "Now" is the time to buy? I'm pretty sure that on Monday the market will rebound and you would have made a killing if you bought in today.
Why bother worrying about what will happen next year? I'm pretty sure everything will work itself out just like on those 30 minute tv shows that wrap up everyone's problem by the end of the episode.

Now is a good time to buy because the market is at a low. It could still go even lower, which will be another good time to buy.

I buy index fund shares to hold for many years, so if the market goes lower I'll just have missed a little extra profit from not buying at the lowest ebb.

If you wait until after the market has recovered, you'll miss out on that initial climb back up, which historically has included a sharp climb over just a few days.

But holding in cash until you feel safe is a valid strategy, better than heading for vegas or buying into a single company like AMD (or nvidia).

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005

Intel and NVIDIA both posted profits last quarter.

JaBro999

Sep 14, 2006

Now is a good time to buy because the market is at a low. It could still go even lower, which will be another good time to buy.

I buy index fund shares to hold for many years, so if the market goes lower I'll just have missed a little extra profit from not buying at the lowest ebb.

If you wait until after the market has recovered, you'll miss out on that initial climb back up, which historically has included a sharp climb over just a few days.

DaveSimmons could not have said it better. If you've got some money to invest in a stock index fund and you have a few years to hold onto it, then this is a great time to buy. If you have the money and the time, then you don't have to know exactly when the market hits bottom to make a good investment.

But, betting on one company with an investment, particularly one as troubled as AMD, is too risky for my taste. Similarly, if you're making a short term bet on the stock market at a time like this, you may as well head to Las Vegas to gamble - at least you'll probably get some complementary drinks.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: edplayer

u crazy man?

I really think we will see the high 6000s in the dow.

Its not like the citigroup problem has been taken care of. Or the GM problem. We are going to hear news of bad black friday sales, and xmas sales and more layoffs. We are going to hear about credit card companies running up huge losses (which is why amex is turning into a holding company to borrow from the fed debt hole, or GE stock is falling apart since they funlots of private credit cards for store brands)

In my opinion the only reason stocks went up today was because it was Options expiration friday and some put sellers were far out of the money and wanted to recoup a bit.

That is why it did not go up until the last half hour or so when they can manipulate prices upwards with the smallest amount of money.

Look at intel stock. It was barely over 12 all day and then rises $1 in the last 30-40 minutes.

I plan to get back int he market after january or so. I can't see any sort of real bottom until post inauguration. I mean sure, in the long run if you buy today you will be fine probably.

But I don't really see any compelling reason to buy TODAY this instant. There will be plenty more chances in the next 6-12 months. What reasons do you ahve for thinking america is going to pull out of this so that today is such a great time to buy.

I mean think about it. e very single other time there has been a downturn in the last decade america found a way to put more money into the market. Be it people using housing equity which was debt financed , war spending trickling down in the military industrial complex, or just plain lower interest rates (which is what made the housing equity work).

Well we are already at record low interest rates, we cant start another war because we are already in one, and we are aalready broke. This is one of those tipping points where you can go no longer. Its like if you were dabbling with cocaine, and only did it sometimes, and then finally it was really bad one day and you ODed and nearly died, and finally realized you just had to completely quit drugs and change your entire lifestyle. Doesnt happen overnight.

I mean really the s&p 500 is still valued at somethingl ike 17 times forward earnings. The last big downturn in the late 70s the s&p 500 was valued at about 8 or 9 times.

There will be plenty of time to get in. I would not be surprised to see AMD in the sub $1 level. maybe then itll be worth a gamble.

shangshang

May 17, 2008
The problem I see with AMD is that they are burning cash fast, and in this environment, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

And about the general stock market, it'll go MUCH lower. During the Great Depression, the Dow lost like over 80% of its value. During the Dotcom bust, the Nasdaq lost like 70% of its value; the Nasdaq has yet to recover and it's been 6 years, and it'll look it'll be longer for the Nasdaq.

Today, the financial/housing/credit crisis is not as bad as the Great Depression but still worse than the Dotcom crash. So to put everything in perspectives, I think at the MINIMUM, the Dow will drop 50%, which puts it at 7000 pts. But I think the Dow will eventually lose over 50%, which means it'll drop below 7000 pts. I wont be buying anything until the Dow drops below 7000.