If a place is racist against their own kind, how do you get them to change?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
...probably just request to spit in my food or something...

This is why I never complain & always tip, and avoid fast food joints with 16 year old employees making $5.25/hr. If I don't like a place I just won't go back.

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Why? Statistically, and based on their own experience, they probably realized that Indians don't tip well in America.

This is true. Obviously it's not a universal thing, but stereotypes don't come out of thin air. Indian people tend to be cheap, end of story.

The restaurant is opening itself up to legal action by discriminating against a certain racial group. I'd send an anonymous letter (or just leave one with the owner and claim someone asked you to drop it off) explaining that they plan to sue unless the practice stops. It'd be an easy case to win, they'd be stupid not to start simply charging everyone, or stop charging everyone.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
There is an indian restaurant that serves papad before the actual meal or ordering anything, but they only give it to non-indian people. Indians can order it, but it costs them money.

Why? Statistically, and based on their own experience, they probably realized that Indians don't tip well in America.

Every waiter I have ever known has told me the same thing.

same here, most indians I know take pride in that fact too.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Indians are notoriously bad tippers

I mean REALLY bad ... when I'm with my relatives (I'm Indian) they get all pissy when I leave a 20% tip ... which is pretty much standard in NYC

Hell, if I was a waiter, I'd be the same way too

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Platypus
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
There is an indian restaurant that serves papad before the actual meal or ordering anything, but they only give it to non-indian people. Indians can order it, but it costs them money.

Every waiter I have ever known has told me the same thing.

same here, most indians I know take pride in that fact too.
eh... if they take pride in it, it's because they're ignorant, or just haven't been told about how the system works.

I'm cheap, but not when it comes to something like tipping, I'm probably somewhere between 20-25% actually.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've seen Indian car salesman, who would not wait on an Indian customer before.

trulfe

May 17, 2000
why don't you just not tip and use that money to buy papad..sure you'd be reinforcing the stereotype..but they seem to be expecting it anyways.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Dayum, i never knew that Indians are bad tippers. It's still sad that you have to be lumped in as a bad tipper just because of your race.