If a car in front of me kicks up debris from the road which hits my car and causes damage, is he liable?

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Some guy driving in front of me kicked up a huge piece of debris, which smacked right into my headlight, hood, fender and caused visible scratches.
I'm pretty sure he saw what happened because he then started driving like he wanted to get away... really fast, changing lanes, dodging traffic, etc.

Is he liable?
I wasn't tailgating.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
If debris hit your car, you were too close. Call it tailgating or not, you were too close. Thus it was your fault and you are liable (true in most states).

Edit: since this was misinterpreted, here is a retype:

Whether you were tailgating or not, you were too close. You can be too close to avoid flying debris even if you are not tailgating.

Jan 31, 2002
IANAL and YMMV, but generally if debris strikes you while airborne and without bouncing, the originator of the debris is at fault, unless you were deemed to be following too closely. Check your local laws.

Edit - as mentioned above, it's the originator of the debris. If it was on the road, "you should have avoided it" is all you'll get.

- M4H

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
If debris hit your car, you were too close. Call it tailgaiting or not, you were too close. Thus it was your fault and you are liable (true in most states).

Nope, I was well behind him. It was a flimsy piece of hard plastic that kicked up really high and got good air.

But I am fine with the answer no, he is not liable.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: psteng19
Nope, I was well behind him. It was a flimsy piece of hard plastic that kicked up really high and got good air.

If a piece of ANYTHING flies up and hits you, you were too close.

Edit: Since this was misinterpreted, here is a retype.

Whether you were tailgating or not, you were too close. You can be too close to avoid flying debris even if you are not tailgating.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

so if a plastic bag flies up and hovers in the air for about 2 minutes then hits your car, you are too close to the car in front of you?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
If it were road debris, the only way he would be liable would be if he hit it because he was driving in an unsafe manner (for example, drunk driver hits a tree that falls onto your car).

If it was a part of his vehicle, or if it was something that he threw out of his vehicle, then he's liable.

ZV

imported_Devine

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: randay

so if a plastic bag flies up and hovers in the air for about 2 minutes then hits your car, you are too close to the car in front of you?

Of course :p

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000

This is absolutely NOT TRUE! My car got hit by a rock kicked up by a truck in the lane next to me. Was I too close? Get off your high horse about it. The right object in the right circumstance can get a good amount of distance and hang time.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

At some point the risk from following to closely fades into stupidity for not hitting your brakes.

Viper GTS

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000

I don't really want to argue this but I don't know how you can even debate it if you didn't witness my situation.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I've seen some things get spectacular air. I was on a drive with the PCA and the guys at the front of the line were about three car lengths behind a pickup that was carrying a propane grill in its bed. The grill was not secured and the guy in the truck whipped around a corner and the grill was simply launched. The grill hit almost immediately, but the cooking grate was flung skyward and landed off to the side of the third Porsche in the line. (That's about 11 carlengths behind the pickup.) The lead car, by the way, was perfectly able to stop in time to avoid hitting the grill.

It's entirely possible to be following at a safe distance and still have kicked-up debris hit you.

ZV

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Like Viper said, again it isn't the liability of the car in front of you. It is your fault for not hitting the brakes.
Originally posted by: dmw16
This is absolutely NOT TRUE! My car got hit by a rock kicked up by a truck in the lane next to me. Was I too close? Get off your high horse about it. The right object in the right circumstance can get a good amount of distance and hang time.
This only applies to the car ahead of you. You can't really follow *behind* too close when you aren't behind someone. Common sense for the win. I can see people in this thread don't have common sense. Attack the messenger and not the message. :roll:
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
It's entirely possible to be following at a safe distance and still have kicked-up debris hit you.
We aren't talking about safe distances. We are talking about liability. Safe distance is not equal to liability distance.
I don't really want to argue this but I don't know how you can even debate it if you didn't witness my situation.
Go ahead and take it to court. You can bet the front car driver's lawyers and the judge didn't witness the situation either. But of course, they can't debate the liability either according to you.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
:roll: to this thread.

To those who think the driver of the car is at fault, tell ya what: track him down (somehow), take him to court, and then try to prove before a judge that it was his car and his car only that kicked up the road debris that damaged your car.

Yeah, good luck with that.

In the meantime, the OP should call his insurance company.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
:roll: to this thread.

To those who think the driver of the car is at fault, tell ya what: track him down (somehow), take him to court, and then try to prove before a judge that it was his car and his car only that kicked up the road debris that damaged your car.

Yeah, good luck with that.

In the meantime, the OP should call his insurance company.

Seems to me that people are arguing whether or not it's the OP's fault because he should've been able to avoid it.

It's comprehensive by the way. Also, trying to swerve out of the way of a possible comprehensive claim accident is a bad idea, you can end up wrecking or causing an accident. Comprehensive usually doesn't ever raise your rates, collision does ;) (usually only on claims > $1000 from what I've seen).

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
I take the view that if you get hit you were too close. I am split on it a bit.

One of the more dangerous things I see is construction equipment pulling off of a job site with a bulldozer or such that has a million chunks of mud and gravel waiting to go flying off. It should be a practice to clean equipment off before taking it on an interstate.

There is one condition that I see being able to nail someone for liability. That is if they are passing illegally on a shoulder and they happen to kick some debris up on your car. You only have a chance at this if a police officer observers the illegal maneuver. Otherwise your SOL.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Good luck. The only case you could have is if the vehicle was not road worthy - like the huge raised up pickup trucks that do not have fender flares which results in it flinging rocks.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
If debris hit your car, you were too close. Call it tailgating or not, you were too close. Thus it was your fault and you are liable (true in most states).

I don't agree that he was necessarily too close.

But the other driver definitely was not at fault, which leaves the OP to pay for the damage to his own car.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
What about a giant sheet of ice coming off the roof of the truck in front of you and pieces bouncing up and hitting your windshield?