IE question and dual monitors

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I basically have dual monitors. I want to be able to have internet explorer loaded in the left monitor. I want to be able to right click a link and select open in new window. From there I want the new window to open in my right side monitor. Right now if I close a window in the right side monitor holding shift down it will re-open there. But, if I move the IE window back to the left monitor and try to re-open another window in a new window it resorts back to opening it in the left hand monitor window instead of the right hand like I want it to open.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
When you close a window, the next one you open will open on that one.
So, if you always want IE to open in display #2, move a window to display 2 and close it. Then, the next one will open automatically in display #2.

Hope that's what you wanted to know.

It would be cool to be able to click on the IE icon and choose at that time which display you want it open in, but I could also see that that would be pretty awkward.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
This actually doesn't work. I did this and when I move my IE window back into the other monitor so that I can easily open new windows in the other monitor it just opens it in the same window which is the wrong monitor.

powerMarkymark

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
This actually doesn't work. I did this and when I move my IE window back into the other monitor so that I can easily open new windows in the other monitor it just opens it in the same window which is the wrong monitor.

How are you moving the window to your other monitor?

I ask this because if you use Ultramon to move the window, it will not reopen on the same monitor.

Reduce the window then click and drag it to the monitor, then hold down the shift key and close the window.

That should do it.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I don't think there is a GUI based system that is smart enough to handle multiple monitors well.

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Well I do not know if there is anyway to make new windows open on a different monitor ( nview doesn't have that option, maybe ultramon does ? ).

But with nview, you can open up the new window and use keyboard shortcuts to move the new window to the second display ( Crtl + shift + Z is what I use )