IE 11 vs. Metro/Mobile IE 11 & Alternatives?

Feb 25, 2011
So, I got an HP Stream 7, to use instead of my cell phone, to keep on my nightstand for Kindle, Netflix, Plex, Email, and web surfing from a prone position.

It's 99% just fine for what it is, but:

I installed Ghostery and Adblock+, and they work when I go to the Desktop and launch traditional Desktop IE, but they don't work with the mobile IE version launched from the Start Screen. I have the do-not-track stuff enabled, but there are ads EVERYWHERE.

But even with the ads, the "mobile" browser is faster - I'm assuming it's optimized for lower-ram systems?

Either way, the touch UI is necessary. (it's clunkier than an iPhone, but it works. Using the desktop apps via touch is a no-go though.)

Is there a way to get adblock properly working on this? Or an alternative mobile browser? (I installed Firefox but just got the desktop version apparently.)

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Interesting that the Metro version is faster. Maybe some sites themselves are more optimized for mobile? Do you have Flash enabled on the desktop version? I heard that the mobile version is annoying because you can't get rid of ads like 2 days ago somewhere too, I think I read that on Yahoo answers or something. I haven't tried any version of IE in earnest though, went straight from Netscape Navigator to Firefox and normally disable IE to the highest ability the OS allows. :awe:

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
Hmm I just found one of these HP Stream 7s in my area (one month old) for $50. Maybe I should try it out as well.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm I just found one of these HP Stream 7s in my area (one month old) for $50. Maybe I should try it out as well.

I got one the first day or two they became available from OfficeDepot.com, and I think that it's great. It has 32GB eMMC, which means it's not nearly as capacity-constrained as the Microcenter.com Winbook TW700 tablet. Both of them only have 1GB of RAM, which means that even in ordinary use, it swaps to the eMMC, wearing it out slowly.

Feb 25, 2011
Well, been using it for a few days as - primarily - an eBook reader and forum browser.

Overall, it's exactly what I wanted. Although all I wanted was a cheap 7" tablet that could read Kindle books and watch movies or surf the web.

I will say this, though - the Windows 8 Weather app puts every other weather app/widget/website I've ever seen to absolute shame.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Well, been using it for a few days as - primarily - an eBook reader and forum browser.

Overall, it's exactly what I wanted. Although all I wanted was a cheap 7" tablet that could read Kindle books and watch movies or surf the web.

I will say this, though - the Windows 8 Weather app puts every other weather app/widget/website I've ever seen to absolute shame.

I have a Dell Venue Pro 8, which I also bought for mainly the reasons you did. My biggest disappointment is that the Windows 8.1 Kindle app is pure garbage and very, very rarely gets updated. It's bad enough I have started looking at cheap Android tablets recently.