Question Idle Temps Old PC

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020
Hello everyone. It's a five year old system and I really didn't bother to look at the CPU temp until recently. I cleaned inside the case though I didn't fully dismantle it. I only removed the graphics card, fans and radiator for cleaning. After putting it back together, the radiator fans started to spin faster, making a lot of noise. Prior to this, I didn't have Corsair Link installed to control the fans and the only way to silence it was to make a custom configuration via the app. The idle temp is 60C and could reach high 80's when gaming. I must add that the machine was nearly silent before doing this (except under load). Please share some ideas on how I can lower the temps without too much compromise as far a noise. I appreciate all the input. The specs are below.

Intel i5-4690K
Asus Z97
EVGA GTX 970
Corsair H80i (V2 I think) mounted in the back
Antec 300
Two 120mm case fans mounted in the front
Corsair Vengeance 4gb X 2 DD3
Antec 620 HCG psu
One 480GB SSD
One 2TB HDD
One optical drive

Cheers,

JP

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Can you post a screen shot of HWmonitor?

What program are you getting idle temps at?

I need to see some values, as well as your pump RPM.
Is your pump connected to your motherboard or do you have it connected to a sata power plug?
Is the RPM header connected to the motherboard?

The temps you reported seem a bit high IMO, which leads me to think either your pump may have failed, or your mount is off, or you may have a TON of dust bunnies stuck inside your radiator.

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020
Can you post a screen shot of HWmonitor?

What program are you getting idle temps at?

I need to see some values, as well as your pump RPM.
Is your pump connected to your motherboard or do you have it connected to a sata power plug?
Is the RPM header connected to the motherboard?

The temps you reported seem a bit high IMO, which leads me to think either your pump may have failed, or your mount is off, or you may have a TON of dust bunnies stuck inside your radiator.

I use HWMonitor and Corsair Link. The two 120 mm fans on the radiator are connected to the motherboard's cpu fan header and the pump is plugged in to the motherboard's usb header. Please see the snips below.

Attachments

• Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    76.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    54.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    289.8 KB · Views: 6

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think one of 2 things at this moment.

1. you lost a lot of coolant over time, and your rad is running at diminished efficiency, or you have a lot of dust bunnies stuck inside the radiator fins.

Were your temps better when it was new?

Inspect the radiator, to make sure its not full of dust.
If radiator is clean, then i would remount the cpu cooler, as it may have gotten ajar somehow over time from probably the flex of the rigid tubing.
You could reapply thermal paste also.

If its still not helping... it could be something about the fan settings.
Try ramping up the fans and see if that helps.

If neither works, then im going with my #1 statement... over time you probably lost a good amount of coolant, and its running at diminished efficiency.
Best way to check is shake your cooler with it removed from case, and see if you have a lot of air stuck in.
A new / efficient system should make little to no noise from liquid sloshing around in the radiator.

IF you did lose a lot of coolant, then your going to have to get a new system, unless ur want to frakenstien that system by hacking it up, adding a T and a plug along with draining the system and refilling it with a premix coolant, which can be a lot of work.
At that point it being a H80, it would probably make more sense to get a new unit.

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020

1. you lost a lot of coolant over time, and your rad is running at diminished efficiency, or you have a lot of dust bunnies stuck inside the radiator fins.

If radiator is clean, then i would remount the cpu cooler, as it may have gotten ajar somehow over time from probably the flex of the rigid tubing.

If neither works, then im going with my #1 statement... over time you probably lost a good amount of coolant, and its running at diminished efficiency.
Best way to check is shake your cooler with it removed from case, and see if you have a lot of air stuck in.
A new / efficient system should make little to no noise from liquid sloshing around in the radiator.

IF you did lose a lot of coolant, then your going to have to get a new system, unless ur want to frakenstien that system by hacking it up, adding a T and a plug along with draining the system and refilling it with a premix coolant, which can be a lot of work.
At that point it being a H80, it would probably make more sense to get a new unit.

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020
The radiator is clean, in fact I removed both fans that were attached to it to remove as much dust as I could. I'm really hoping that the block just needs to be re-seated. I will do that when I get some thermal paste. Also, I don't know if the temps were lower prior to me cleaning the machine. I only know that the fans started spin at a higher speed. Thanks so much for your input. I will post an update when I get an opportunity to work on it.

JP

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020

You sir are correct. I tried to re-seat the water block with a new application of thermal goop without any improvement in temperature. There is some sloshing of the fluid inside the AIO and quite possibly a faulty pump. The AIO obviously had to go and my cpu is now air cooled by a Shadow Rock Slim at a comfy 30 C at idle. Thank you so much for sharing your input.

Cheers,

JP

Attachments

• New Cooler.jpg
    New Cooler.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Capture A.PNG
    Capture A.PNG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture B.PNG
    Capture B.PNG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2