Idiots and A$$holes

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
My roommate and I have had a running discussion about which group of individuals would be easier to tolerate and/or work with. We believe that idiots are easier to work with and tolerate because in theory they are slow and possibly very stupid, but not necessarily malicious. Any takers of this assumption, or alternatives?

I guess the whole conversation started after I was placed in command of a mixed bag of idiots and a$$holes. My patience wore thin to say the least. Ok, rant mode off.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
I sense a great amount of love here. I guess you all apply to neither category. :disgust:

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'd rather work with neither group, but I guess that I'd prefer to work with the a-holes assuming they have some amount of cognitive ability. Idiots tend to lack common sense and are generally ignorant, and that alone would be enough to drive me nuts. I have a friend next door that is really smart but a HUGE idiot (if that makes any sense) and my stress level goes through the roof when I have to explain something to him. I couldn't imagine dealing with more than one at a time. An oversaturation of idiocy could be fatal.

Sir Fredrick

Oct 14, 1999
Tough call. I work with a couple idiots and it's a pain in my ass, it really prevents me from getting my own work done because I spend 90% of my time helping them figure out how to do their crap.

If they were assholes, they'd bother me and be malicious, but I'd probably still be able to get my work done, but I guess it depends on how bad they were...a mild asshole you can just ignore, usually. An asshole with a vengeance can make your life miserable.

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Darn good point amnesiac 2.0 and Sir Fredrick. Argh, I guess the expression "damned if you do, damned if you don't comes to mind." Too many idiots lighten the air, but too many a$$holes sour the water? :confused:

swayinOtis

Banned
Sep 19, 2000

<< Tough call. I work with a couple idiots and it's a pain in my ass, it really prevents me from getting my own work done because I spend 90% of my time helping them figure out how to do their crap. >>

Hey, it's Nick Burns, The company's computer guy!

<< If they were assholes, they'd bother me and be malicious, but I'd probably still be able to get my work done, but I guess it depends on how bad they were...a mild asshole you can just ignore, usually. An asshole with a vengeance can make your life miserable. >>

no, an inflammed asshole from a hemorrhoid can make your life miserable. that or a mother in law. :)

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'll take idiots any day. If you have the right attitude they can be good for hours of entertainment! :)
Besides, there is nothing worse that a smartass-hole :D

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999

<< I'll take idiots any day. If you have the right attitude they can be good for hours of entertainment! :)
Besides, there is nothing worse that a smartass-hole :D
>>

well said

Dec 31, 2000
Gotta vote for the idiots here.

Chances are idiots don't fully appreciate the fact they are, by definition, idiots.

A$$holes usually know exactly what they are doing.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
A$$holes as a hole are tough to work with.

I don't know if I could work with you either tho.

Is there a third choice? :p

Mitzi

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2001

<< Idiots are easier to work with because they aren't a$$holes. >>

True but at least the a$$holes are not idiots :D

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Assholes - definitely assholes.

You can put an asshole in his place but (as much as you'd like to) you can't slap the stupidity out of an idiot. If you want to get something done, stay away from idiots.

Oct 16, 1999
I'd rather work with an asshole because I can be an asshole right back to them. I don't think I could be an idiot back to an idiot. I could still be an asshole to them, but that's sort of letting the idiot win.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
What if the're both an idiot, and an a$$hole? I see idiot-a$$holes all the time.