identity theft from stuff you throw away

dpopiz

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
is there any guarantee that stuff you get in the mail doesn't have enough info on it to get your identity stolen if someone goes through your trash?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Rocking chair and a shotgun on your front porch after the trash is out.

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
I shred everything and make sure i split the load into 3 bags and bring them out at seperate times... need to get cross cut shredder

mad0maxx

Feb 3, 2006
Originally posted by: dpopiz
wow some of you act really paranoid....

Well now adays it is really easy to open a credit card in some one else' name and if someone does that to you... then your screwed! The credit card people do not care if someone opened a card up without your authorization they just want their money!

L

Lola

It can happen that your identity can be stolen that way but i make sure to tear things up of course but thats it.
I feel a bit better because i have a coverage on our home owners policy that covers identity theft and the results from it. It makes me feel a lot bette.r

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
wouldn't it be easier to steal someone's mail than root through their stinky garbage?

I'm glad we have a locking mailbox.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
I worked at a local cell phone agent for a couple years, and all of the people that i signed up had to put down all of their information so I could run a credit check.

There were usually 3-4 carbon copies made one for the customer, one for the store, and like 1 to two others for various reasons.

I didnt think about it much at the time but i used to keep a copy of all of my sales kinda for my own records in case my boss didnt pay the commission. I accumulated hundreds cell phone contracts, and I am sure with the info that i had, ie ss, address, names, that identity theft would have been pretty easy.

After i quit the job, i was going thru my desk and was tossing the papers when my mom freaked out and made me shred them all.

I was only 16, so i didnt really realize the severity of identity theft and how it could potentially destroy people.

Just a thought to keep in mind when you are being super careful to shred all your info, but you go to sign up for things like a cell phone or something.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eakers
wouldn't it be easier to steal someone's mail than root through their stinky garbage?

I'm glad we have a locking mailbox.

...and Bingo was his name-o:music:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My wife is horribly anal about this kind of stuff....and I'm glad she is. She gets about a million fvcking catalogs every week, from companies we've never heard of. Almost all of them have her personal info pre-printed on credit apps and/or order forms. She saves them all, then once per year, she has Shred-it come in and take care of it. We have a simple home shredder we use for the daily crap, but the bulk stuff like magazines and all the bs junk mail, we actually pay someone to shred for us. (gawd, if we tried to shred everything, we'd go through home shredders on a monthly basis.)
BTW, YES, she's called and tried to get off the mailing lists, but it seems like everytime we do, they just sell our info to another list, and we end up getting MORE..