Identifying a video card (onboard)

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
Ok so I have a client of mine -- gave me his PC to clean it up and reinstall windows. He went out and bought Vista to replace the XP that it came with. I installed and all is well but for the life of me I cannot figure out what onboard video card has.

The system is an older Via ester 1500mhz and it has built in AGP video, audio, lan etc. I installed the Via 4 in 1 hyperion drivers, but no matter what Vista sees the video card as a standard VGA and it's dog slow.

I looked all over the mobo and I can't find any reference to a chip name.. nor even a name of the board. I think it might be a Via Epia board but again it's got nothing else. Is there some sort of utility that anyone could suggest which queries the video card? Any other ideas?

PS: wish I could just slap in a cheap card, but the mobo does not have a PCIe or AGP slot at all. It has what I think are 2 older PCI slots only. Guess worse comes to worse look for a used PCI card.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
he spent more on Vista then what the pc is even worth. for 150 bucks more he could have just bought a brand new modern pc with Vista on it. also its likely to too slow and doesnt even meet the real world requirements to even run Vista properly.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
The name might be hiding under a heatsink so you won't see it. Use GPUZ or CPUZ to tell you the videocard or motherboard chipset, respectively.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
an ester 1500mhz is going to have a via chrome 9 or unichrome pro in it.

its probably a via C7 1500mhz machine.

probably running the CN700 or vx800 chipset (much more likely the CN700 which uses unichrome pro i thinkt hey have a unified driver anyway).