Ideas on how to cook Zucchini

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
I LOVE fried Zucchini. Gonna fry up a whole mess of it tonight. But, what else do you use it for?

I mean, we do the common stuff, Zucchini bread, frying it, adding some to thinly sliced yellow squash and saute' it in butter with onions.

But what else???? I've got a bunch laying around, ready to try in a new recipie. :)

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Add bacon for flavor too (the butter/onion thing). Also, with Italian seasoning, garlic salt, on basted with olive oil on the grill.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
stir fry with shrimp oh my or zucchini bread but my grandma knows the recipe not me but its god damn good

L

Lola

dip in melted butter then dredge in a mixture of italian breadcrumbs and parmasian cheese then bake

jme5343

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2003
^^ Sounds good LolaWiz

Originally posted by: DEMO24
never tried fryed. shall have to do that

It's heaven. And hell (on the arteries) all at the same time :)

I slice it verrrry thin, dip it in eggwash, then dip it in a mix of flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, any other powdered seasoning to taste, then drop in hot oil, get it crispy, fish it out and put it on a bed of paper towels to remove grease.

gsellis, how are you slicing it to do that, long and thin, chunks, what?

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: jmebonner
I LOVE fried Zucchini. Gonna fry up a whole mess of it tonight. But, what else do you use it for?

I mean, we do the common stuff, Zucchini bread, frying it, adding some to thinly sliced yellow squash and saute' it in butter with onions.

But what else???? I've got a bunch laying around, ready to try in a new recipie. :)
How about a zucchini lasagna? Similar to a typical lasagna (tomato meat sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, etc) but substitute zucchini for the pasta.

Don't fry the zucchini. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes first to soften them with a very light drizzle of olive oil. Then put together the lasagna, alternating layers of zucchini, cheese, and meat sauce.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Zuchinni and Yellow Squash Casserole.

Alternating layers of yellow squash, zucchini with canned whole tomatos, parmesen, mozzerella, and provolone cheese. add onions through out preferably sweet onions. Use whole diced garlic along with salt and pepper to taste. Top layer should be cheese, bottom layer zucchini/yellow squash.

Bake 400 degrees for about 1 hour or so until zucchini is soft enough to cut easily with a fork.

Enjoy.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
cut it into strips, marinate them, then grill them. MMmmmmmm

For fried, use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

Geeez, it's that time of year again already... I'll have to pick up some zucchini at the auction next week. I can usually get a couple hundred pounds for a couple dollars.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: jmebonner
gsellis, how are you slicing it to do that, long and thin, chunks, what?
Long slices. Easier to handle.

edit - Japanese/Chinese eggplant works the same way.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Cake:

3 cups shredded (like with a cheese grater) raw zucchini (washed and ends cut off but not peeled)
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
4 eggs
--
2 cups flour
1 tsp each: baking powder, baking soda, salt
2 tsp or more (I use about a tablespoon) cinnamon
nuts, raisins, dried currants, or dried cranberries, if desired

Mix baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon with flour, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well (you can use a spoon if you want, it doesn't have to be mixed for that long.) Pour into a greased and floured cake pan (I use a 9"x13"x2" pan) and bake at 325 F for 50-70 minutes. Start checking the cake at 50 minutes and take it out when the center is cooked and the edges spring back when touched.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
1) Fry 1/4 lb bacon till crisp. Cut bacon into pieces before cooking. Set aside
2) 2 TBSP Olive oil in frying pan with sliced zucchini (peeled) and 1/2 red onion sliced
3) Fry until golden brown and slightly mushy.
4) For added flavor add 1-clove garlic minced and fry with zucchini
5) For extra flavor add 1 TBSP bacon grease
6) Salt & Pepper to taste
7) Add bacon and mix
8) For added flavor throw in some mozzarella and melt on top
9) If not using the mozzarella, try some Parmeasean sprinkled on top

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
dip in melted butter then dredge in a mixture of italian breadcrumbs and parmasian cheese then bake
*drool*

or do an eggplant parmesan and substitute the eggplant with zucchini.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
grill it
simple as that
cut in long 1/4" slices, VERY light oil, ground salt and pepper to taste. Toss on balzing hot grill for a min or 2 on each side. Nice grill marks, still crisp... delish.

**Also great with peppers (all colors), Red Onions and carrots.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
grill it
simple as that
cut in long 1/4" slices, VERY light oil, ground salt and pepper to taste. Toss on balzing hot grill for a min or 2 on each side. Nice grill marks, still crisp... delish.

**Also great with peppers (all colors), Red Onions and carrots.
or make a shish kabob out of it with other veggies and meat all marinated beforehand, and grill it.

jmdeathsquad

Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by: moshquerade

or do an eggplant parmesan and substitute the eggplant with zucchini.

i actually made that! i was going to input that until i read your comment... it was awesome, the texture is similar to eggplant

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
I also like to sautee it or yellow squash in a wok with some butter, onion and pour some terryaki in and go until it is almost completely mush. It is actually quite good that way.