Ideas for new atx case layout

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Whats in the future for case manufacturers for the std atx tower design?

I thought the ft02 was great for cooling while cutting down the noise by having bigger and lower speed fans further away from the ears. I thought the ft02 could do away with so many 5.25" bays which also squeezes against the lower pcie slots. Maybe just 1/2 top loading or sideways mounted drive would've sufficed.

What about having a double decker design with pcie extended connectors to shift cards to the top of a standard atx layout? Maybe 2-3 cards could sit side by side vertically which would be better for the lifespan sleeve bearing fans.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I'm about to switch back to my Lian Li PC-V351B and stop messing with the larger towers if I can find all the pieces to it. Eventually I'm goin to a laptop and console exclusively once my current build gets too old, for now I'll keep it for the current steam games I have until I no longer wish to play them. I'm tired of messing with PC hardware but if I were to get another case build I'd go ITX perhaps.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Intel tried this years ago with BTX and it went nowhere. All of the companies involved in making PC hardware do not want to switch gears and support both specifications for next decade for realistically zero benefit. They leave that to the aftermarket/boutique crowd.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I know that innovation is more likely to occur with laptops. I wasn't talking about a new standard for atx cases which is not going to happen which is what I meant in my op about 'standard atx'.

The FT02 hung the mb a different way but I felt that the layout could be improved further by deleting the extra 5.25" slots and shifting the disk cages.
Then I was thinking about possibly moving the cards to hang or stand vertically in a normal atx case using supports or even moving those cards upwards in a separate compartment.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think all the layouts has been trounced on.

We have the horizontal layout... we have a standard vertical layout... we have the inverse layout where the CPU is on the lower end... we have the 90 degree hanging layout like the FT series.

tell me what more is left minus the upside down layout... :p

If your talking about actual CPU / slot / ram locations, then... we already changed on the SB-E with ram slots sandwitching the cpu.

But changing the location of the PCI-E would be massive fail, and without changing them, you couldnt really move the cpu anywhere otherwise u will have problems with the heat sink.

Last edited:

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Yes, all the layouts have been tried already and with a throwback to the old layout by putting the mb flat with a boxlike case (haf xb), but what I was also suggesting is the ability to move the cards around (like harddisks) with pcie cables.

Right now the depth of the standard tower could be shortened and made higher (to make better use of floorspace) if either the harddives and 5.25" drives be moved upwards to a separate partition. Imagine a case only as deep as the mb. Alternatively the cards could be moved upwards (with no advantage in depth reduction) for better cooling.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
I agree, to that extent I've liked the FT03 for awhile: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811163176 (considering it for my next build). The ATX design does waste space since we aren't using as many 5.25" devices anymore. That said, there are ways to modify it and some companies are really getting creative.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
As ATX power supplies get more quiet and efficient, I'd like to see the practice of mounting the PSU on the front become more common. Doing so saves a decent amount of vertical space which leads to lower, more compact cases. That would require a power cable extension going from back to front, and prefereablly it would be integrated into the case rather than a loose cable. The PSU area would take up a few hard disk bays, but people don't usually need anywhere near all those 8+ hard disk bays; also, usually cases have more 5.25" bays than needed as well, especially now as fewer people use optical drives.

Additionally, I'd like to see more SFX units. I'm sure it's possible to create quiet 500W+ SFX units given high enough efficiency. A compact ATX case with a front mounted SFX power supply would be awesome IMO.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Yes, all the layouts have been tried already and with a throwback to the old layout by putting the mb flat with a boxlike case (haf xb), but what I was also suggesting is the ability to move the cards around (like harddisks) with pcie cables.

riser cables are no no when ur using titan class...

the ribbon cable is not able to transmit the required voltages to a high demand card such as a high end gpu.
There is no way to get thicker cables onto a riser platform due to the number of cables required to be present.
The dog is chasing its tail in short terms.... hence why riser cards which work are traced on a board like a dell, and even then some dell risers wont work on top end GPU's.

So... no we can not goto that riser method unless the case manufactor products a specialized riser for the application.
And that would push the cost of the case another 40-60 dollars just for a stupid riser.

Last edited: