Ideas for lunch thief revenge...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
re: laxatives. If the thief is an asshole, and someone who steals coworkers lunches is pretty much guaranteed to be an asshole, then it's pretty simple for the thief to press charges.

It's a misdemeanor at the very least, and possibly a felony for food tampering (as well as aggravated assault charges.)

Do you really want to risk that? Not to mention an asshole also suing you in civil court for lost wages after having to go home and being sick for a week? (No, they wouldn't be sick for a week, but they could easily take the week off and claim they were sick. Tell it to the judge that you're sure they were faking it.) Oh, and of course, the suit would include pain and suffering from a week of stomach cramps.

Also, if smoke starts billowing out of a microwave, someone besides the thief is also going to notice, unless the thief is the only person in the room.

The glaring difference, of course, is that in the case you quoted above, the person blatantly served the laxatives to others. In the case of the OP, the food is intended for himself (or his wife). He's not deliberately serving lax-laced food to someone else.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
That's why no one's suggesting actual poison. If you put a laxative in the food, the original owner can always just say, "hey, I'm constipated, and this is how I was going about solving it."

If it's at all reasonable that the original owner would/could have consumed it, the rest is just conjecture.

It's not at all reasonable that a person is going to thaw their food, inject laxatives into it, and refreeze it. Good luck convincing a jury that you didn't intend to harm someone else.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
re: laxatives. If the thief is an asshole, and someone who steals coworkers lunches is pretty much guaranteed to be an asshole, then it's pretty simple for the thief to press charges.

It's a misdemeanor at the very least, and possibly a felony for food tampering (as well as aggravated assault charges.)

Do you really want to risk that? Not to mention an asshole also suing you in civil court for lost wages after having to go home and being sick for a week? (No, they wouldn't be sick for a week, but they could easily take the week off and claim they were sick. Tell it to the judge that you're sure they were faking it.) Oh, and of course, the suit would include pain and suffering from a week of stomach cramps.

Also, if smoke starts billowing out of a microwave, someone besides the thief is also going to notice, unless the thief is the only person in the room.

Easy. "Your honor, that food didn't belong to me." How are they going to

1) Prove that the food the person ate belonged to you
2) Prove it contained laxatives
3) Prove it was you who put the laxatives in the food.

If all that is proved, just say your wife is constipated and puts laxatives in her food to help her digestion. It's not your fault someone stole her food and ate it.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
You could inject a radioactive tracer into it and then walk around with a geiger counter to find the culprit.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Someone took the time to post a warning on the fridge in our break room. It reads:

"Warning: Items placed inside may be stolen at any time."

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Ya know, after read this it sounds like a better idea than before. While the food thief is in the hospital struggling to survive, the OP can safely put his lunch in the freezer without someone stealing it :thumbsup:

Refer to neckbeard's thread about shooting a car thief. 70% of ATOTers said it would be ok to kill someone stealing your stuff. Out of 12 jurors, 8 of them will support your idea to kill someone for stealing your food :awe:

edit
most people are not ATOTers so you'd probably end up getting the chair for this

Last edited:

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
It's not at all reasonable that a person is going to thaw their food, inject laxatives into it, and refreeze it. Good luck convincing a jury that you didn't intend to harm someone else.

Good luck to the prosecution proving that I'm the one that tainted the food.

Regardless of whether or not you can be prosecuted in court, the real issue in my opinion is what happens to the OP's wife's job once it gets out what she did. In that environment, suspicion alone is enough to get screwed.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
1. Glue aluminum foil to the bottom of one and paint it to match the container.

2. See who starts a fire in the communal microwave.

Thought about it, but it would be very easy to see.

And for other questions... # of people is unknown I would guess 100ish? And also as for HR, HR at that company is crap they aren't helpful to anyone besides the top dogs for anything. They are there purely to hire and fire people.

Last edited:

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Coat the food with cyanide and place it in the freezer. You will know who it was (They will stop coming into work and there will be an obituary) plus they will get the punishment that is deserved for this crime, death.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
HR at that company is crap they aren't helpful to anyone besides the top dogs for anything. They are there purely to hire and fire people.

Unfortunately that's pretty much the case at any company. I've met one, maybe two HR people who weren't snakes in the grass. It's not really their fault, though - the nature of their job inherently pits them against most employees.

Apr 12, 2010
Replace your meals with something healthy & undesirable to the thief. I always went with salads, green smoothies, and healthy food. Nobody touched my shit, even when I worked at company where food was stolen multiple times a week. Thieves are usually not attracted to healthy foods.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
It would be relatively easy to put BBs in the meal. Just find the person that screams in pain as a chunk of tooth is falling out.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Really a surveillance camera of some type is the best way to solve this without potentially going to prison or getting fired.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Replace your meals with something healthy & undesirable to the thief. I always went with salads, green smoothies, and healthy food. Nobody touched my shit, even when I worked at company where food was stolen multiple times a week. Thieves are usually not attracted to healthy foods.

hmm in the OP they are stealing Healthy Choice meals. I don't think anything would be unpalatable to them.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
Alternatively, if you forget about revenge, you can just remove the contents of the frozen dinners and put it in a freezable/microwaveable container.

I'd wager they're less likely to steal food that isn't in a factory package, and will opt to take someone else's lunch.

Much like the solution, "You don't have to outrun the lion, just the guy next to you."

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I like the simple idea of allowing the dinner to thaw out for an extended period of time, such as a week or two, then refreeze and leave for the thief to steal. Alternatively, you could nuke it in the box for quite a long time, then refreeze.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I like the simple idea of allowing the dinner to thaw out for an extended period of time, such as a week or two, then refreeze and leave for the thief to steal. Alternatively, you could nuke it in the box for quite a long time, then refreeze.

Or... both?