Ideal voltage for 3930K overclock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Villanut

Oct 20, 2017
For some reason I couldn't choose auto vcore, only manual or offset.So I set all cores to 42 vcore to 1.28 and vtt and vccsa to 1.0 each (I also couldn't select auto).
I put speedstep to enabled and made sure the c states were turned on,memory I set to 1333mhz but couldn't set the speed settings as it was greyed out set to auto but it was correct apart from it said command rate 1 instead of 2.

I ran Aida64 extreme stability test with Fpu,Cpu and cache and the pc crashed after 50m mins with bluescreen Clock_watchdog_timeout,highest temp was 64c with no throttling. The average vcore at load was 1.234

What did I do wrong ?

I'm back on Asus optimal atm so at idle the vcore is 1.304 and it drops to 1.288 at load.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Honestly I'd have to sit down in front of it and figure it all out for myself. Did you look for overclocking guides and videos? There's 5 years worth of OC information in written guides and testimony on all things Sandy Bridge. I hate to pass the buck here, but I haven't messed with a Sandy OC in a very long time. Going off memory, I basically left everything on default and just changed the multiplier to 43. I didn't mess with any other voltage settings. I enabled all C states and power settings so the voltage and clock speed ramped up and down with load. It ended up at about 1.28v under load at 4.3ghz.
All those special power settings like load line calibration and all that stuff, I left it on either default, auto or standard/normal settings. Increasing them doesn't do anything but increase power consumption and heat.

Villanut

Oct 20, 2017
Well thank you for replying to me anyway,I left settings like llc etc either on auto or standard.yes I've looked at lots of guides.
And I think I did things correctly,although I'm not sure if vtt and vccsa should have been on auto,I put them on one,also not sure why I couldn't change any memory settings.
Guess I'll have to leave it on Optimal,just wish I could get it to drop down on idle instead of 1.304 all the time.

Villanut

Oct 20, 2017
I managed to work out how to do it and at the moment I've got it overclocked to 4.0ghz with a negative offset of 0.010 vcore is 1.288v at load.

Reactions: moonbogg

Villanut

Oct 20, 2017
Now on 4.2ghz negative offset of 0.020 vcore changing between 1.280-1.288 mainly 1.288 temps full load with Aida 64 extreme stabilty test using cpu,fpu,cache in the mid 60s average

Reactions: moonbogg