Idea for upgrading hard drive on laptop beyond bios limitations?

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Small hard drives drive me nuts. I always want to put in the largest hard drive available. That way I can load all my music MP3s and whatever else I want to. I have a ThinkPad T61 with a 100 gig hard drive. Research has shown that these models came with up to 160 gig HDs during their manufacture. Pics Below:

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...nkpad+t61&gbv=2&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=ThinkPad

I want to add a 1 terrabyte external hardrive to be installed 99% of the time. I'm thinking of a WD Passport 1T. See link below:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136755

They seem really handy and are incredibly small. They've had them at some good prices lately. Several weeks ago I bought a 750 gig WD Passport HD for $69.99 at Costco. It came with the usual cables etc., but it also came with a neoprene zippered case for the hard drive and cable. Vendors on the web sell it without the case and charge you $10.00 extra for the case. At Costco the 750 gig HD is $89.99. Several weeks ago they offerred a $20.00 instant rebate at the register. For $69.99 it was a great deal.

This is what I was going to do. On the right side near the rear of the T61 are 2 USB ports which are in a great location for my project. I'd take a wide strip of Velcro (the furry side) and fasten it to the right rear on top of the closed laptop. I'd then place the velcro (the hooky side) on the bottom of the external hard drive. When the laptop is closed it is only 2 inches in distance between the USB outlet on the laptop and the cable plug in on the hard drive. When the laptop is open this changes to a distance of about 5 inches +/- referring to how long the cable must be. I may be able to special order a reduced length cable from Western Digital if I feel that I must have a shorter cable. I'll probably just fold the cable over and shorten it with zip wire ties. I could even put heatshrink tubing over it for a more polished look. For adhesive I'd choose black silicone RTV, caulking that is available at auto stores. I've glued things with silicone RTV in the past and it is incredibly strong.

The point is that I could tell Media Monkey Gold to look for my music files there. The hard drives are incredibly small if we reflect on the past. Dimensions are 3.3 inches x 4.5 inches x .7 inches.

This would get around the size limitations for Hard Drives in the BIOS. Besides that's an incredible increase in storage space. I realize that I could have posted this in Memory and Storage, but I thought others with laptops may think about doing something similar.

Transfer speed would be limited to a speed of USB 2.0. I think that would be OK. Does anyone see any drawbacks here, besides the little hump on the rear top of my laptop?

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
why don't you just uh buya 750gb 2.5" 9.5mm drive, and replace your 100gb with it.

like this http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Moment...6778678&sr=1-2

the t61 uses sata drives, and it should not have a problem with 750gb. if you really want you coul deven get an ultrabay hard drive adapter...
http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Hard-Driv...p_ob_e_title_2

and replace your dvd / dvdrw with a hard drive for 1.5TB total storage.

I've been building and repairing desktop computers for 15 years. There are limitations to larger hard drives in the BIOS.

In other words, a large drive such as a Terrabyte would only be recognized by the latest computers being built today. Really I see that most of the large hard drives in current computers limit out at 500 gig in size. Its all about BIOS limitations and you'll find its something to look at when choosing a motherboard if you're a builder.

Shop for motherboards and if you get all the specifications you'll find the hard drive size limitation.

Last edited:

BTA

Jun 7, 2005
A few google searches comes up with people just installing 1tb internal hard drives and having no issues. There's also no mention of any bios limitations on hard drive size for the model either.

You should add some google fu to your 15 years of experience.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
the only real bios limitations were when 48-bit lba addressing had to be added, and that took drives over 128gb. that also really only applied to IDE drives. unless lenovo has some specific bios issue that will make it no work with over some limit it probably should work fine. i know a few machines have problems with drives over 2TB because of issues with how many 512kb blocks and such but thats not going to be a laptop problem for a while.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
the only real bios limitations were when 48-bit lba addressing had to be added, and that took drives over 128gb. that also really only applied to IDE drives. unless lenovo has some specific bios issue that will make it no work with over some limit it probably should work fine. i know a few machines have problems with drives over 2TB because of issues with how many 512kb blocks and such but thats not going to be a laptop problem for a while.

OK, I've built 12 PCs between 1997 and 2005. Hard drive size has always been an issue when choosing mobos etc. Are you telling me that hard drive size is no longer an issue, even in a ThinkPad T61, which is a couple years old. Are you saying I could swap out the 100 gig HD for this Western Digital 1T?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136545

Sounds contrary to my experience, but...?

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
dude I have a t61p, you can run a larger hard drive no problems. Also note you should add the t61 modded bios. Not for the size but because lenovo/ibm locked it at sata 1 speeds. I've modded my extensively

runs t9300 no bios alert, 8gb ram, modded whitelist bios, undervolted .96 volts from lowest to highest speed, tpfc fan mode run at 7 speed.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/len...ata-ii-1-5-gb-s-cap-willing-pay-solution.html

read that and flash via a bootable cd

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I run a 500GB SATA drive in my T60 - no BIOS changes. I would assume that the T61 (a newer model) could handle the larger drive with no problem. And, with the Ultrabay adapter, I also have a second HDD of 320GB. Again, no BIOS limits apparent.

Last edited:

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Youll have to stick with 750GB models for now...the 1TB are currently larger than normal at ~12mm instead of ~9mm. Unless you know for sure itll fit.

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
Wow! There are always a lot of very bright people here. Thanks (holden j caufield) for the idea of flashing the BIOS. I went there and read it carefully. It could be awesome or I could lose my laptop. I remember flashing the BIOS on a Supermicro motherboard. Those were excellent mobos for Pentiums. They helped me flash it back. I'm reluctant to flash the BIOS.

There was one guy who said just stick in a 1T hard drive. There are no problems. I'm unsure what his schema is.

I think my original idea wasn't so crazy, just a little weird to have this bump of a hard drive on the back of the laptop. I guess I could call it the "Quasimodo Mod.," after the hunchback of Notre Dame.

Thank you for all of your input. Someone has noted that I have a 9.5 MM slot which limits my hard drive upgrade at this time to 750 gig. The larger hardrives are a 12.5 MM slot.

hans007 has recommended that I swap hard drives using a Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16 MB Cache 2.5 Inch from Amazon for $89.99. If I did that I'm looking for a reccomendation to copy my hard drive to another, expand it and make it active.

I'm looking for a good software reccomendation for the move. Please advise. I don't mind buying something. I just don't want to screw it up.

Thanks for any suggestions.

uberman

Last edited: