IDE to SCSI converters, worthit?

cheesehead

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
It would make more sense from a performance standpoint to use a seperate IDE controller, such as the one on the motherboard. It would most likely run slower than its IDE-connected counterpart, and you would end up paying more. Moreover, it would eat up bandwith to your SCSI card.

wfn

Feb 14, 2001
it wont run slower in most instances and it'll give you an ability to free up your onboard p-ata. ive used those before and they work well, tho not with everything out there. for hdds if you go with a bigger brand like seagate or hitachi it should work fine.

Crism

Mar 15, 2003
scsi's outdated for everything except high-end servers. 10,000rpm raptors are in style now-a-days

wfn

Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Crism
scsi's outdated for everything except high-end servers. 10,000rpm raptors are in style now-a-days

ok mr. fashion, keep telling yourself that.

FishTankX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2001
Well, my notion was to use it so that my DVD burner and harddrive could be on the same SCSI Chain (Harddrive=15k.3 refurb) and thus talk with eachother without going through mediation of the rest of the system. Do these things work well with DVD burners?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: wfn

lol pwned.

SCSI is not out of date, it still reigns supreme, you cant call yourself hardcore until youve owned a SCSI drive. Raptors dont come close to competing with SCSI.

-Kevin

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I been using this for over a year now..

I got 6 of these on 2 200gb ide and 4 120gb ide... got the ides for dirt cheap.. it'll never used the full bandwidth of my u320 so I can happily chain up 6 drives or more on 1 channel.

I never tried with cd rom/dvd, i leave those to ide.. so I free up my ide channels and have 4 dvd/dvdr on 1 pc. I only use the converter because I needed more cheap storage, there isn't a 200gb scsi drive yet...

hitachi has some 300gb scsi coming out but they been saying that since april '04

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
btw i just checked the website, 105 is pretty expensive, i got mine for 79, i used acard one..

http://www.acard.com/eng/product/scside/aec-7726q.html
Support command Queue for SCSI RAID card

I picked this unit because it works with RAID..

I bought mine at Mars Tech
http://www.getlaptop.com/acardprod.htm
They list as http://www.getlaptop.com/aec-7726q.htm @ 84 but if you call and do bulk like me, you get it a bit cheaper..

Think of it.. ability to chain 14+ drive per channel on each scsi controller.. yes you can do it with 3dware sata but most scsi controller has dual seperate channel.. it'll easily upgrade to 28 drives.. you'll need 3 3dware controller to do that..

gba

Apr 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Originally posted by: wfn

lol pwned.

SCSI is not out of date, it still reigns supreme, you cant call yourself hardcore until youve owned a SCSI drive. Raptors dont come close to competing with SCSI.

-Kevin

I would really like to see a good head to head comparison in laymen's terms.... I have my OS on a 15,000 RPM SCSI hd it makes a huge difference.... haven't tried SATA yet