Idaho to pay for inmate child molester's gender reassignment surgery (court order)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Fund it and move on. We as a society are responsible for the necessary health care of those we choose to incarcerate. If gender reassignment surgery is considered necessary by mental and health care professionals (and I'm not talking about the automatic "no" from the prison staff doctors) then we must provide it.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fund it and move on. We as a society are responsible for the necessary health care of those we choose to incarcerate. If gender reassignment surgery is considered necessary by mental and health care professionals (and I'm not talking about the automatic "no' from the prison staff doctors) then we must provide it.

I generally agree. This isn't some widespread epidemic of criminal justice system abuse. Just move on.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I generally agree. This isn't some widespread epidemic of criminal justice system abuse. Just move on.
Agreed. Some will complain about slipper slope abuse, just like they complained that if genuine transgendered individuals are allowed to use the bathroom they identify with that it will open the door for every pervert to spy on little girls going pee. Not so. With qualified experts, medical professionals and reasonable criteria, it is easy to differentiate between the genuinely gender dysphoric and transgendered vs those looking to abuse the system. Just keep the politicians out of it.

And most of these objections are rooted in various religious or sexual prejudices anyway. Seems Jesus' teachings of love for your fellow man fell on at least some deaf ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorian Gray