Idaho judge says rape is 'a direct consequence of the social media system'

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah, the defendant was released under some pretty ridiculous limitations. This judge needs to be disbarred and kicked off the bench. Unbelievable.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/08/idaho-judge-rape-social-media-twin-falls

An Idaho judge who said a man who raped a 14-year-old girl could be released on probation if he agreed not to have sex outside of wedlock also linked the case to a breakdown of morality in the social media age, adding: “If I had my way, I would eliminate the internet.”

The unusual requirement that a convict remain celibate as a condition of probation received widespread attention this week, after segments of Judge Randy J Stoker’s ruling were made public.

“I will tell you, sir, that if you are ever placed on probation to this court, a condition of that probation will be you will not have sexual relations with anyone other than who you are married to, if you’re married, period,” the Twin Falls district judge said.

Modern-day technology, he added, was at fault.

“I have seen dozens, if not hundreds of sex cases since I’ve been on this bench,” the jurist said. “Our society has come to a point of, I don’t even know how to explain it, you know? I am 66 years of age. When I was 19 years of age, the sexual proclivities of young people wasn’t anything, anything like I see today.

“I think it is a direct consequence of the social media system that we have in this country,” Stoker continued. “I can’t tell you how many times I have seen these cases: ‘How did this happen?’ ‘Well, I met somebody on social media.’”

Stoker conceded that Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and other sites might not be the direct cause of all the sexual assault cases he has presided over in the deeply conservative Gem State. But he said “the vast majority” of such cases originate online.

“I can’t change that,” he said. “If I had my way, I would eliminate the internet, and we’d all have better lives. But I can’t do that either. It also says something about, I guess, the level of morality in this country. I can’t change morality. People are going to do what they’re going to do.”

So this judge, whos is 66, was in his late teens/early twenties in the early '70s and doesn't believe people were promiscuous back then?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
EDIT: wait nvm

nvm, I didn't finish reading the article I posted, my bad. Yeah judge is a total dumbass, Idaho seems to have a history of defending young rapists (see that story of the three white football teens that raped a mentally-disabled black teammate with a hanger).

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
While the judge's reasoning was obviously absurd, the story seems to exaggerate the seriousness of this. The "rapist" was an 18 year old guy that had apparently dated the girl for over a year until the girl's mother discovered his age. Social media allowed the two to meet more easily; if one defines non-forcible sex between a 14 year old and 18 year old as rape, then technically social media did cause this rape.

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/c...cle_08d6f446-fa28-55c9-81b2-fbedf87d91ba.html

Right -- people of different ages never met or hooked up before social media.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Rape-of-the-Sabine-Women.jpg

Damn Facebook!!!

Reactions: Homerboy