News Idaho hit with 6.5 earthquake

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Looks like the epicenter was in the wilderness area with Stanley being the closest town. 10km depth is really shallow.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Looks like the epicenter was in the wilderness area with Stanley being the closest town. 10km depth is really shallow.

Yep...out in the middle of bumfuck nowhere...fortunately.
We had moved out of Clayton, (between Challis and Stanley) not long before the 1983 quake that his Mt. Borah. Only 6.1 I think...but we felt it living near SLC. My in-laws were still living next to the Salmon river...said things got pretty hairy...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I had a project in Stanley a few years ago, got the gut bug, and spent one of the most miserable nights of my life at the Sawtooth Hotel drinking water, running an astonishing fever, running to the loo, repeat. Boss called at 10am the next morning to ask if I was still alive and I was like, "f ' if I know".

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why do so many earthquakes occur at a depth of 10km?

Ten kilometers is a "fixed depth". Sometimes data are too poor to compute a reliable depth for an earthquake. In such cases, the depth is assigned to be 10 km. Why that number? In many areas around the world, reliable depths tend to average 10 km or close to it. For example, if we made a histogram of the reliable depths in such an area, we'd expect to see a peak around 10 km. So if we don't know the depth, 10 km is a reasonable guess. The USGS used to use 33 km, but increased understanding indicates that 10 km is more likely.
Some areas, like subduction zones, are known to have many earthquakes much deeper than 10 km. In those areas, a deeper fixed depth would probably be appropriate. The most common reason for having to fix the depth is that the earthquake occurred too far from the nearest seismic station. A useful rule of thumb is that a reliable depth requires that the distance from the epicenter to the nearest station must be less than the depth of the earthquake.
Modern computational and theoretical advances can now produce reliable depths at greater distances from the nearest station, so the rule of thumb does not always apply. However, the rule of thumb does illustrate one conclusion: fixed depths are more common for shallow earthquakes than for deep ones.

Reactions: Hayabusa Rider
Jul 9, 2009
Less than 300 miles from Stanley, Idaho to Yellowstone Park, one of the most seismic unstable areas in the country. I wonder if the local, County, State and Federal governments are taking the proper precautions for a seismic event? Sure they are! Rest easy America!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Less than 300 miles from Stanley, Idaho to Yellowstone Park, one of the most seismic unstable areas in the country. I wonder if the local, County, State and Federal governments are taking the proper precautions for a seismic event? Sure they are! Rest easy America!
As part of observing myself under stress when intense bad feeling tend to rise, I have observed a phenomenon for which I have no name but is characterized by obsessive and repetitive thinking, a kind of introversion and inward dwelling often accompanies by sub vocal self calming conversation. Attendant to this there often occurs a down spiraling chain of associative thinking, the kind that makes connections that are there emotionally and no where else. This is the kind of doom and gloom panicked thinking you might see in a psychotic break where the mind simply goes wild with fear. In short, I don't think it likely there is anything to be concerned about with a 300 mile difference, or any connection between the quake and the Yellowstone caldera. We live with a sense of disaster about life because of repressed self hate and the unconscious feeling we aren't worthy of a happy life. I believe that feeling is just the result of having been put down as children and that that we bought into what is a lie. There is nothing wrong with you and there never has been. But it is no easy job to undo that lie, much less even know we are believers.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

Considering the U.S. one of the last countries hit by the Coronavirus and yet was one of the least prepared despite staring at that rolling avalanche for months, it's pretty obvious we aren't going to be prepared for something that's even lower priority.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Idaho - hey guys we had an earthquake out in wherever

COVID-Murica - new phone, who dis