i'd really like to know how X1900 does with all "newer" AA modi on

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i asked that some time ago with the X1800.

I'd be very interested what effect adaptive antialiasing, tranparency aliasing, short: EVERY QUALITY setting at maximum - has on FPS.

The normal benchmarks usually show the numbers for 4xAA or 6xAA, but what about the recent, newer AA methods ati is offering for a while now ?

I know i can "hack" those settings (eg. w/ ati tray tools etc.) and use the new modi even on my old X850XT...but, depending on engine/scene it gets EXTREMELY slow - how does the X1900XT do there ?

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
I believe with high AA, the R5xx tends to hold up better (especially at 8x) than the G70 cards due to its algorithm and grids.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i think super-aa ONLY applies to crossfire. I am not talking about SLI/crossfire AA-modi.

talking about "adaptive" and transparency antialiasing.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
It depends on how many alpha textures are being used, and the performance hit can be large. Hanners shows a more than 50% drop in framerates using 4X Quality adaptive AA over 0AA at 16x12 in CS:S 'Militia' level Link

Jun 14, 2003

nib95

Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: rbV5
It depends on how many alpha textures are being used, and the performance hit can be large. Hanners shows a more than 50% drop in framerates using 4X Quality adaptive AA over 0AA at 16x12 in CS:S 'Militia' level Link

Wow, that was a fantastic article.

I cannot believe how much of a difference super adaptive AA makes.
It totally smoothens the image to the point of perfection.
It's a shame the performance hit is so massive aswell though!

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: nib95
Originally posted by: rbV5

Wow, that was a fantastic article.

I cannot believe how much of a difference super adaptive AA makes.
It totally smoothens the image to the point of perfection.
It's a shame the performance hit is so massive aswell though!

Hanners is a great Reviewer IMO, one of the best and my personal favorite.

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
FYI, Adaptive AA is ATI's version of NV's Transparency AA: different names for roughly equivalent features. So the X1900 will feature AAA, not TAA.

Unless you meant ATI's Temporal AA. In any case, Digit-Life reviewed the X1900 with "HQ" settings: "ATI RADEON X1xxx: AA 6x, plus Adaptive AA, plus Temporal AA, plus AF 16x High Quality mode." They compared it to "HQ" settings on the GF 6/7 series: "NVIDIA GeForce 6xxx/7xxx: AA 8x, plus TAA, plus AF 16x." But keep in mind the GF's 8x (MSAA+SSAA) isn't quite like ATI's 6x (pure MSAA), so it's not quite an "even" comparison, as they're not comparing like for like settings. It's a fair comparison in the sense that they're testing each card's real-world max IQ modes, but know that NV's 8x mode will perform slower (while potentially looking better) due to its SSAA element touching the whole screen (which is redundant, given they're also using TAA, which SSAAs the parts of the screen that most need it). It'd probably be fairer overall to just set the GF6/7 to 4xAA, as it'll give up some IQ but regain a lot of speed.

Oh, and keep in mind that both AAA and TAA have MSAA and SSAA modes. Well, TAA for sure (TMAA and TSAA), and AAA probably (Performance=MSAA and Quality=SSAA, I think). SSAA looks better, but incurs a larger performance hit.