I'd like to ask a question of all the Republican's on this board

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FettsBabe

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 1999
Yea, men don't force women to be thin or even force them to want to be thin. That issue relies in the woman herself. I'm thin and petite, and I have heard through the grapevine that the "heavier" woman at my employer say "she's to thin" or "she thinks she so hot." I have never understood how a woman can say "she thinks she's so hot" when all I did was walk to the drink machine. Women are way to competitive about looks, and the truth of the matter is that most guys could care less as long as the person they are with is respectable and nice.

Men don't force woman to be thin, and they certainly don't force them to have an abortion.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Thank you, DaBoneHead and others who have the heart to look at the big picture here.

IMHO, there would be much less of a need for abortion if society didn't objectify women so much. Don't tell me young women and girls are not valued first for their 'doability'. Study social psychology before you start saying what the causes of abortion are. What you THINK causes it and the factors that combine together to create the problem are not so simple.

If you are so against abortion, then stop posting about how you want to fsck this or that girl. If you are against abortion, you had sure as heck be for no sex before marriage, too! While you are at it, you should make sure your heart is totally pure.

I don't like abortion, but I don't like hypocrites, either.

:frown:

edit:Midnight Rambler's views on abortion most closely resemble my own: It aint good, but there are some circumstances which call for it as being an option. I'd like to see the NEED reduced, but that is a different thread.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry Isla, but I have to take issue with you here.

<< I don't like abortion, but I don't like hypocrites, either. >>

Pro-choicers are equally hyporicitical, as has been pointed out repeatedly in this thread and which I don't want to completely renumerate. I guess you're just left with having to choose which hypocrites you wish to side with.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Bober,

I'd rather put my energy into helping young girls value themselves more so there will be no NEED for abortion... Just Say No to boys who tell you how hot you are and how much they love you, baby...

I have to go to the root of the problem, because that is where change will really be effective.

You can't disagree with that, can you?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I'd just like to speak up &amp; say that I will have sex as often as I can, &amp; never use protection.

Once I'm married.

;)

Viper GTS

G41184b

Aug 12, 2000
I have to say I agree with every point reitz made. If it is a choice for the woman to kill the baby, why doesn't the baby have a choice to live?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
You go, ViperGTS...

More attitudes like yours= Less abortion.

How do all these women get pregnant in the first place? I guess they are all just dumb sluts who can't keep their legs crossed...

:disgust:

Like I said, this is a much BIGGER issue than pro-life vs. pro choice.

How about, pro self control? Pro Respect? Push those things and watch abortion rates dwindle, legislation or no!

OK, I'll shut up now. ;)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I agree wholeheartedly Isla. But it's the interim solution that has split this country into two camps with seemingly no room for compromise.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Yup Bober,

That's why we need leadership with vision... and I don't see any on the horizon just yet.

In the meantime, I will try to slap some sense into every girl I meet... sorry guys, if I can help it, you won't find as many 'easy' chicks out there. ;)

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< How do all these women get pregnant in the first place? I guess they are all just dumb sluts who can't keep their legs crossed... >>

Yep, that's it. Any other scenario envolves rape (for which there are laws and prisons), or a loving permenant relationship that would be conductive to raising a child. It's all about RESPONSIBLITY, if a person wants to be a stupid ho and show their lack of self-esteem and self control they can at least use birth control. At some point someone has to take the &quot;training wheels&quot; off our society... it's sure as hell not growing up as it is. :p

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Oh Thorn, don't take my quotes out of context. I am tired and cranky and ready to cry and I don't think anyone wants to see that. If you read through everything I wrote in this thread, I am saying that this is a bigger problem than whether or not abortion should be legal.

My concern is with young girls/teens who are getting images of sexuality shoved down their throats every day. They are not old enough to be having sex but they make up a very high percentage of abortions performed. Before you go blaming the parents, let me tell you that I have seen just as many church going teens get pregnant (most do have the baby and either keep it or give it up for adoption, which is good) as non-church going teens. Why can't the kids in church youth groups with very involved parents avoid these problems? Hmmm, there must be something more to it.

Therefore, my point is that something is very WRONG about the social sexualization and the objectification of young females. That is where the problem really lies. Abortion is a symptom of a much worse disease.

And for anyone who thinks differently, why don't you get out there and do somethying about it? Try volunteering your time and donating your money to programs that teach teens to respect and value themselves. How can you not give a hand to those in need? Have a little mercy.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Thank you Isla! That has been my point through this whole thread. People are so quick to condemn, but nobody wants to get their hands dirty and actually try to fix the problem. How can people stand there and feel good about running others down? Wouldn't it make you feel better to lend a helping hand to someone in need?

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Thank YOU, Colleen.

I have been sitting here, quite disgusted because all I have heard is name calling and blame placing for the past few days. The ugliness I feel all around me is quite acute. Yeah, I don't have to read the threads, I know. Note to self: Just turn off the machine! :D

It is very, very good to know you are here, too. That keeps me going, and you better keep going, too! I know you have the time and the heart to make a real difference in the world, no matter what political party you favor. :)

Now I am going to go and have a good long cry...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've skimmed through this thread and haven't seen my views come up yet -

I'm a personally pro-choice, and support the &quot;legality&quot; of abortions.
I will continue to support the abortion choice up until the point where the government makes it illegal for a women to smoke and drink while pregnant. Both are actively killing a child. Smoking and drinking just take a little longer.

Once the governement starts cracking down on mothers who drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes while carrying a child, I'll rethink my opinion, until then, I support it.

Also, birth control isn't perfect. There is always the possibility of a women getting pregant. Every seems to revolve around teenagers who have sex, well, there are a lot of married couples out there who on birth control for the same reason. And, it's safe to say that there are some married couples who find abortion the best option for them. Who has the right to tell a married couple that they can't have sex? No one. They have taken responsibility by using birth control. It is their decision.

My final point is this - if a women has an abortion, who lives with the agony and the guilt of it for the rest of her life? You or her? It sure ain't you.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Aside from the discussion whether it's a human being or not, abortion is one of the most selfish and unresponsible acts that anyone can commit.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
It's unfortunate that most people think of this as a black and white issue.

I would argue that most pro-choice activists dislike the concept of therapeutic abortions. This procedure is a relatively safe procedure for the mother, but it does come with complications. For the child/fetus/human/tissue/baby it also means the end of its life and thus the ethical implications of this procedure are very significant to most caring individuals, including both pro-choicers and pro-lifers. It would be much simpler if the pregnancies were just prevented.

However, once the pregnancy has happened, one has to somehow deal with it. Whether or not society objectifies young women or whether idiotic rags like Vogue make women too thin, etc. is largely irrelevant when one's sister or daughter or friend has already become pregnant. Here, the well-being of the young mother carrying this fetus is of prime importance, to the pro-choice crowd. One must take into account several factors, which includes the personal circumstances of the mother, including the psychological and physical condition of that person, as well as the financial situation. While the wishes of the father are perhaps something to be considered, it's sobering to note that often they are a non-issue, because the father couldn't care less or elsse is encouraging the abortion.

I'm sure every pro-choicer would be overjoyed if abortion never had to be performed. However, it's extremely difficult to educate these women to prevent pregnancy, when such information is considered taboo in our schools, etc, and when money for such preventative measures doesn't exist. I always find it ironic that the forces that wish to completely stop abortion, also are often less willing to provide funding for education and birth control to decrease the need for abortion in the first place.

This is a very difficult issue, and I hope people give it the true consideration it deserves. Try to put yourselves in the shoes of these women, and just try to imagine what they are going through when they make this very difficult decision. When the time comes that it's your daughter perhaps then you can understand that while you may think it's wrong, they may still need your support one way or another.

Thorn

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< My final point is this - if a women has an abortion, who lives with the agony and the guilt of it for the rest of her life? You or her? It sure ain't you. >>

And it sure ain't the baby, they never get the chance.

Hey, like I said before, I'm willing to compromise. 1st trimester for abortions. After that the baby is capable of higher brain functions and it's murder. If a person can't figure out if they want the baby after three months then they're just SOL. Hell, even most Southern Baptists I know would take that compromise.

BTW, I was asked where my compassion is? It's worn a bit thin lately, I'm willing to see a little harsh reality handed out for a while. We've tried the soft-handed approach and it doesn't seem to be working.

<< Also, birth control isn't perfect. There is always the possibility of a women getting pregant. >>

Then they shouldn't do it if they don't want to handle the responsibility of possibly having that child. But hey, even if things go wrong I propose 3 months. Actually, THERE is my compassion. I feel compassion for the baby with fully formed toes and fingers, a developed brain, and no rights at all.

Kill the babys, and spare the murderers. What a society!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You tell a married couple that they can't have sex. Go ahead, I dare you.

Also, I'm totally for prohibiting anything past three months. No arguements there.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Would you actually be willing to go to a woman and say &quot;Don't abort that baby, give it to me!&quot; If not, you're pro-choice.

If I had the money, sure. That is the biggest false dilemmas that I've ever heard.

Gandalf511

Oct 13, 2000
Another issue I haven't seen discussed here is the implications on the teenage mother physically. Like most of you, I'm no doctor, but carrying a child for 9 months cannot have good physical results on a 14 year old mother. From what I understand it really messes up the hips, causes back problems, and can't be good for any of the organs along the birth canal. If a child will not live (pre-birth sickness or disability), was caused by rape, or is still in the first tri-mester, these girls should not be forced to carry the baby. Just one more aspect of the issue to think about.