Id jumping ship to EA

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Rage will be published by EA

I have never really had a problem with EA myself, but it seems that their PC friendly nature has been going down lately and their attitude towards their PC gaming customers is rather blas'e

I haven't heard much bad about Activision though.

edit: oops can't get a hang of these proprietary tags.

SPARTAN VI

Oct 13, 2005
Rage went from "possibly will buy depending on reviews," to "definitely will not buy if touched by EA." I don't want to support EA anymore than once a year if I have to, and this year it's Spore.

Chosonman

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2005
Probably has something to do with the Game Informer article I read that shows EA still near the top in terms of marketing recognition. Me however will never touch another EA game again.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
I'm guess EA simply has a longer reach in the console space. And that's all that matters to Id anymore.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Hopefully Carmack has a clause in there about non-invasive DRM schemes to be included on the PC version.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004
Well Quake 5 will probably be released on the PS3 whenever it does drop so its not a terrible idea. I don't care about Rage too much since it looks to be nothing more than a Mad Max-ish Rally game so far. As for the EA on the PC... bleh never again if I can help it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: SPARTAN VI
Rage went from "possibly will buy depending on reviews," to "definitely will not buy if touched by EA." I don't want to support EA anymore than once a year if I have to, and this year it's Spore.

Same, i hate EA.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The way id works, is the make the game and someone else distributes it. EA will have no involvement other than distributing it. IE: pressing the cds, printing the materials that goes with it, and shipping it to retailers.

Also, this is only a one game deal.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Soviet

Same, i hate EA.

I don't think I've purchased a game with "EA" anywhere on the box in the past six years or so...

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004

QFT. My thoughts exactly.

SergeC

May 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Sylvanas

QFT. My thoughts exactly.

x3

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
I don't care whose logos are on the box, as long as it's just distribution.

EA's DRM is a different matter. If the same shit that is on ME and Spore is on this, no sale.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem
The way id works, is the make the game and someone else distributes it. EA will have no involvement other than distributing it. IE: pressing the cds, printing the materials that goes with it, and shipping it to retailers.

Thank you for actually not jumping to conclusions like everyone else in this thread. DISTRIBUTION ONLY PEOPLE. And for the people complaining about Spore, you do know that the copy protection was lifted right?

SPARTAN VI

Oct 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Vidda
Originally posted by: Wreckem

Thank you for actually not jumping to conclusions like everyone else in this thread. DISTRIBUTION ONLY PEOPLE. And for the people complaining about Spore, you do know that the copy protection was lifted right?

And what conclusion was that?

I've decided that I simply do not want to fuel EA. By giving them more of my money I help them take that step toward buying out more developers. I weep inside for BioWare and Westwood Studios. Who's next? TakeTwo? Ubisoft?

I'm not firm on that stance as I still believe in supporting originality and good games, so I'm willing to make an exception for Spore and perhaps Left 4 Dead. EA has the resources to be the best thing to ever happen to gaming. Instead they squeeze the utters dry on their cash cows (Battlefield is a perfect example). If I can encourage them to put out more products like Spore and Left 4 Dead (assuming they live up to the hype), then perhaps there's hope for them yet.

And it's obvious that the publisher takes some share of the profits, so even if Id is going to them for distribution only, they'll still be benefiting in some shape or form. Until they've earned their redemption, I'm not willing to support EA anymore than I absolutely have to. :)

Pia

Golden Member
Feb 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Vidda
And for the people complaining about Spore, you do know that the copy protection was lifted right?
And you do know that all they lifted was the ten-day continuous authentication, right?

What remains is the most restrictive DRM in a single player game that I know of.