id announces their next project....Rage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
What this means in other words is that all the versions will be exactly like the xbox 360&PS3's; dumbed down and catering to the lowest intelligent, highest common denominator. Brilliant.

id can't ignore the console market if they want to survive and still innovate.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: mjrpes3
What this means in other words is that all the versions will be exactly like the xbox 360&PS3's; dumbed down and catering to the lowest intelligent, highest common denominator. Brilliant.

innovate my ass.

The console doesn't support any innovation, mainly because its processors are designed for executing commands that deal with rendering things, not with rendering AI, meaning AI is harder to program. But that's ok, because all the n00b xbox 360 whores don't care--as long as the game has good graphics, it's good in their eyes, no matter how simplified it is.

id sucks, and John Carrmack is a bitch. The game design does look nice though.

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004

innovate my ass.

The console doesn't support any innovation, mainly because its processors are designed for executing commands that deal with rendering things, not with rendering AI, meaning AI is harder to program. But that's ok, because all the n00b xbox 360 whores don't care--as long as the game has good graphics, it's good in their eyes, no matter how simplified it is.

Innovate, as in make enough money from console sales (PC sales aren't as large as they used to be) to support innovative future games. Or so that's what I heard... think I read it in an interview with id's president.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org

innovate my ass.

Innovate, as in make enough money from console sales (PC sales aren't as large as they used to be) to support innovative future games. Or so that's what I heard... think I read it in an interview with id's president.

Arent as large?

Wasnt it US $2B last year?

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Arent as large?

Wasnt it US $2B last year?

Selling a PC with integrated graphics or an FX 5200 doesn't count, though. The number of PCs with 8000-series GPUs is relatively small compared to next-gen console users.

Edit: Not sure whether you were referring to PC Games sales. If you were, then it's the same argument - best-selling games like WoW, Starcraft: Battle Chest, and The Sims 2 are not very demanding games. Although there are advanced PC releases, like HL2, Doom3, and FarCry, you can bet your bottom dollar that developers are covering their rear ends by releasing consoles versions of those titles.

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Auryg
Jeeze, this thread is the P&N of PC fanboys.

lawl, i was thinking the same thing.

zomg...i'm so much more awesome than u because i click a mouse button instead of pressing a keypad button lolololololololololololololololololol

Wheelock

May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

You write like a console user. :)

zomg...i'm so much more awesome than u because i click a mouse button instead of pressing a keypad button lolololololololololololololololololol

I think that the complaints are more about giant fonts, simplistic GUIs, and overall less sophisticated, in-depth gameplay. Deus Ex: Invisible War would be a prime example of these faults. DE:IW is a double whammy, though, because it is also a bastardized sequel to a beloved PC title.

Edit: Try navigating Windows with a gamepad.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
MP is unannounced. It's quite possible there won't be; it might be fun if there is.
I sure hope that it does. If it doesn't, chances are I won't bother buying it. Game like this should have multi-player. Vehicles with weapons = tons of fun.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Auryg
Jeeze, this thread is the P&N of PC fanboys.

You're the terrorist of game development. Go away! :|

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Heh looks like Doom 3 engine still.

Considering my hatred for that...yeah, not too excited.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Yeah, the game might be good, but I have gotten tired of the issues with that engine too.

raystorm

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Looks good from the vids and the engine looks nice. Now will the game be good? As hyped as the doom 3 engine was it wasn't exactly used for a lot of pc games unlike the venerable Quake 3 engine which powered quite a bit of pc games years ago.

Even though this is a multi platform engine/game there is no reason not to think the pc versions of the game will be the superior versions.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
From the looks of the trailer, I'm still fighting creatures in steam tunnels and crap? Mmmmm...no thanks. That part of the game just looks like more of the same old Q4 and D3 from that brief glimpse. There are already enough combat racing games IMO too. Just don't know what this is going to bring to the table, that isn't leftovers.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
What I was thinking. Seriously, wtf? Why can't I have some firefights with human fcking beings, not mutated cliche pieces of human waste, which try to hack me with some tree axe?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What I was thinking. Seriously, wtf? Why can't I have some firefights with human fcking beings, not mutated cliche pieces of human waste, which try to hack me with some tree axe?
Which brings up the point of how bad the A.I. is in those games. I hope it is better than the trailer made it look, or the MP is amazing, because I'm not feeling it right now.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Id is going in the opposite direction than I'd wish they'd go. Their recent FPS games have been slow and cludgy. Then when they finally make a new IP, it is just as dark and gloomy as the rest of their IPs. They had the chance to finally show some color and opted for this?

It's like they hate me :(. Needless to say, I'll buy it, and I hope the mod tools really help revitalize the mod scene.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Skacer
Id is going in the opposite direction than I'd wish they'd go. Their recent FPS games have been slow and cludgy. Then when they finally make a new IP, it is just as dark and gloomy as the rest of their IPs. They had the chance to finally show some color and opted for this?

It's like they hate me :(. Needless to say, I'll buy it, and I hope the mod tools really help revitalize the mod scene.
Maybe if JC spent more time working on games than he does on space vehicles...:p

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
His heart might not be into it anymore, which is a shame because the guys a damn genius.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: VERTIGGO
gay

Dude, wrong forum for confessions.

L&R------------->
While the comment contributed nothing to the thread, it was monosyllabic and easily dismissed. Attempting teh funny at his expense though=personal attack, and that isn't tolerated. Keep the discussion and/or remarks constructive, or at the very least, on topic.-DAPUNISHER