ICQ 2000a woes...

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Damnit, I wished I stuck with the original version...So last night I was signing on to the internet with my dial up as usual, and ICQ started to load and the little flower icon stopped spinning. So I go to the Task Manager in Win2k and close it. I try to reload it again and no luck. I restart and it's the same deal. So I go about reinstalling it and still nothing. Then I head over to download.com and download a slightly newer build (40 friggin minutes), and absolutely the same thing.

I proceeded to install it to a new directory and it loaded up fine, but without any of my buddies online. So I went to copy all my settings files over, and, as before, it just froze at startup. So I'm guessing my member files are corrupt. Is there any way to restore it? I surely would hate to re add the 100 or so buddies I had...

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Yes, i agree.
I hate icq2000.
I wish I would'a stuck to 99b.
/extra sings song and dance about the suckiness of icq2000a.
(don't listen to me)

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
try running the icq database converter
it has an option to fix corrupt databases
and just fix the contact list..dont import back all teh chat history!
it takes forever and not even worth it, i dont care what i said 3 months ago

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I never tried ICQ2000 but I didn't like any of the ICQ99's. Too cluttered with useless bs. I know its more designed for newbies I'd say, but hell, with all that stuff they put in a newbie would be more easily confused imo. Anyway, I'm a proud user of ICQ98.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Yeah, I agree. Why do they have to add all those new "features" to ICQ? Can't we just stick to the basics and let me just send those messages? Or maybe even offer a basic version of ICQ for ppl who don't like those extra stuff.

As for your problem, yeah, just try and run ICQ database converter and see if that helps... Good Luck.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
You mean the ICQ Database Converter? It's just a program installed with your ICQ, should be in your ICQ folder in your Start Menu. Just copy your files into your Database directory (2000a in ICQ2000a), and before you load ICQ, run that Database converter. It will automatically promote you with options to fix corrupted files.

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
THe first icq2000 I installed was terrible it was making my mouse go biserk and everything. But after my format I got another new icq and this one is perfect w/no troubles AT ALL.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I don't believe there is any way to downgrade them...

BTW, I would not use ICQ98 if I were you (whoever it was that said they were a proud ICQ98 user). ICQ99 may be a little more cluttered than ICQ98, but it worth it. You are no longer restricted by 450 character messages, and you can customize your text for messages as well, which is nice to have.

Killbat

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
ICQ 2000a work great for me under Win2k. Sure, they've added in way too many useless features, but with work, you can trim the ICQ window down to a basic setup.

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Sorry GoldenBear, I don't think there is any way to convert your data files back to icq9x... u might just have to add your buddies back one by one... sorry...

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
RSI: Yeah the 450 character is kind of annoying but I just send a new message. As far as customizing, that's a feature I'm not interested in. It sends messages and sends files, that's all I need. Hehe, and 99 takes noticeably longer to load. Maybe I'm impatient but I just like having it load quicker. Also, doesn't ICQ99 take more system resources?

Anyway, I see what your saying but I am simply not interested in enough of the new features to make it worthwhile.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I still have ICQ 99b Installer, if you want it E-mail me and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Oh man I forgot I had a list uploaded to my site so I'd be able to use it when I went somewhere. It's about a month old but still has most of the people I know on it. So which version would you guys say is the best? ICQ 99B?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Actualy IMO 98b is the best. I cannot find a copy of it anywhere though. 98b sent the fewest packets, used the least ammount of memory and had no annoying AOL features.

But all I have is 99b - If anyone has the 98b installer please send it to my e-mail! Wahhhhhh!

Muerto

Golden Member
Dec 26, 1999
I tried ICQ2000 for a while and hated it. I got rid of it and re-installed ICQ99. It's much better in my opinion.

P.S. I emailed the ICQ staff about the problems I was having over a month and half ago, no response. I hate it when they do that!!!!!!!

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Arg, no matter which version I try, 98, 99, 2000, they all crash when I copy my setting files to the DB directory or any other directory where it belongs. Am I doing it incorrectly?