Iceland Whaler to Sail Again Amid Controversy

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Should the US place sanctions on Iceland for starting whaling again under such ludicrous excuses.

The Icelandic whaler Njordur was due to hunt more whales on Tuesday, a day after its crew harpooned the first whale caught off Iceland in 14 years despite environmentalists' anger and a U.S. threat of sanctions.
Journalists were not allowed to board the 15-meter long vessel. A Reuters eyewitness said the deck looked empty apart from half a dozen big knives and machinery covered with bloodstains, used to cut up the whale.
(No freedom of the press in Iceland, what were they hiding?)

Icelandic marine scientists say the purpose of the hunt is to assess the impact on fish stocks of the growing number of whales. If the whales become too numerous, the livelihood of Icelandic fishermen could be threatened, the scientists say.
(The purpose of the hunt is to kill whales, that is all)

In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the United States was "extremely disappointed" with Iceland's decision to approve the whale hunt and could consider sanctions against imports from the north Atlantic island.
(I'd say they don't need the protection of our F-14s anymore. The whales do.)

"

The topic of discussion. Should Iceland be placed under sanctions for breaking the accords against whaling?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No they shouldn't because this isn't that big of a deal. Wait until they start really killing them off again.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Send the whaler over here....there are plenty of whales in this building they could hunt.

Seriously....yes they should face sanctions. As should Japan for their whaling and shark hunting activities.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
I smell Czar coming :) FREE WILLY! FREE WILLY! NO WAR FOR BLUBBER!

Well I mean etech only posted this for one reason. It was to troll Czar. Of course he will probably respond.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium

Well I mean etech only posted this for one reason. It was to troll Czar. Of course he will probably respond.

Troll Czar? No, never here! ;)

BTW, isn't Czar against whaling?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: etech
Should the US place sanctions on Iceland for starting whaling again under such ludicrous excuses.

The Icelandic whaler Njordur was due to hunt more whales on Tuesday, a day after its crew harpooned the first whale caught off Iceland in 14 years despite environmentalists' anger and a U.S. threat of sanctions.
Journalists were not allowed to board the 15-meter long vessel. A Reuters eyewitness said the deck looked empty apart from half a dozen big knives and machinery covered with bloodstains, used to cut up the whale.
(No freedom of the press in Iceland, what were they hiding?)

Icelandic marine scientists say the purpose of the hunt is to assess the impact on fish stocks of the growing number of whales. If the whales become too numerous, the livelihood of Icelandic fishermen could be threatened, the scientists say.
(The purpose of the hunt is to kill whales, that is all)

In Washington, State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said the United States was "extremely disappointed" with Iceland's decision to approve the whale hunt and could consider sanctions against imports from the north Atlantic island.
(I'd say they don't need the protection of our F-14s anymore. The whales do.)

"

The topic of discussion. Should Iceland be placed under sanctions for breaking the accords against whaling?

I'm against whaling, but WTH is with the "no freedom of the press" comment? The Press does not have the "freedom to just go anywhere, even in the US.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: Millennium

Troll Czar? No, never here! ;)

BTW, isn't Czar against whaling?
troll me, yeah that was damn obvios

and no I'm not against whaling, I actually very much agree with RDWYTruckDriver :Q on what he said in his thread, "I think whaling can be done commercially if done responsibly. "
but this time it is just for scientific purposes, the original plan was for 100 hnísur (these type of whales) and about 50 or something on another species, a big compromise to go down to 38 minke whales

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Does anyone have any objections now to the US pulling their fighters out of Iceland?

Sandorski,

The press was barred from visiting the ship, why? Was it to keep the fact that this was more of a hunt for whale bluber than for any scientific purpose. What do they expect to learn from killing 38 whales?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Does anyone have any objections now to the US pulling their fighters out of Iceland?

Sandorski,

The press was barred from visiting the ship, why? Was it to keep the fact that this was more of a hunt for whale bluber than for any scientific purpose. What do they expect to learn from killing 38 whales?

I dunno, but the Press is barred from many places.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Sandorski,

according to the gov it was to stop the anti whaling groups from using the photos as propaganda material
they hope to see the impact it will have on other fishing stocks, tell me since you know so much about this*cough* how would it look different if this was a comercial hunt compared to a scientific hunt? I mean rom a helicopter or a plane flying above the ship

there are one or two scientists aboard each ship and they take samples when they reach harbor, determin the age, what it eats and so on. The current estimate is that the stock of minke whales in the north atlantic is around 40.000 minkes, so is a limited number of 34 too much?

btw, are you against whaling or not?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Iceland can stop the hunt.

"So what do we know about minke whales?

Having been around for millions of years, these mammals are cetaceans which belong to the Mysticeti suborder and the Balaenopteridae family (they have baleen plates and ventral grooves). Although the smallest of the rorquals, they may still reach 10 metres (females being usually bigger than males) and weigh up to 10 tonnes. Minkes are distinguishable by their very pointed heads. They are widely distributed from the tropics to polar waters, in both hemispheres, but are much less abundant in the Northern Hemisphere.

This filter feeder's diet varies with location. In the Southern Hemisphere it mostly consists of krill (small shrimp like animals), while in the Northern Hemisphere small fish (eg: capelin, sand eel & sardines) are eaten as well as krill. Generally, minkes migrate between summer feeding grounds in polar waters and wintering grounds in warmer waters where calving takes place, but their migrations are variable from year to year. The calf will spend 10 months in the womb and up to six months lactating. The young minke whale will mature sexually after six to eight years and might live up to 40 or 50 years, although adult mortality rates are relatively high (approximately 9-10% per annum). "

It is known what minkes eat, they don't have to kill them to find out.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
nice copy paste there and ignored my other questions I see
and that paste hardly says much about how much they eat which helps determin the impact they have on fishing stocks