Iceland Presses U.S. Not to Remove Jets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Why does Icaland need any planes over it, it's not going to get attacked or anything like that. It's too far out of the way to really be of much consequence.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Why does Icaland need any planes over it, it's not going to get attacked or anything like that. It's too far out of the way to really be of much consequence.

They could be used to obliverate ice bergs threatening North Atlantic shipping :D

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Iceland used to be vital for protecting the Reforger supply routes between the US and Europe in the event of a war with a Soviet Union. It is slightly less relevant now as we do not have a pressing need to protect a supply line between the US and Europe.

I hear Icelandic chics are hot though.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

Iceland used to be vital for protecting the Reforger supply routes between the US and Europe in the event of a war with a Soviet Union. It is slightly less relevant now as we do not have a pressing need to protect a supply line between the US and Europe.

I hear Icelandic chics are hot though.

One of my reasons for plannign a vacation there ...

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Actually, IMO, Iceland can be used for an enemy for the very same reasons why we used to use them for. (If that made any sense) For example, lets say, if we pissed off the British and the rest of the Europian nations, then they could use Iceland as a refueling point for their planes before dropping a load off at D.C. So, actually, we could use Iceland as a middlepoint to refuel OUR planes before dropping a load or two on France. ----if it came down to it.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: shuan24
Actually, IMO, Iceland can be used for an enemy for the very same reasons why we used to use them for. (If that made any sense) For example, lets say, if we pissed off the British and the rest of the Europian nations, then they could use Iceland as a refueling point for their planes before dropping a load off at D.C. So, actually, we could use Iceland as a middlepoint to refuel OUR planes before dropping a load or two on France. ----if it came down to it.

Island refeuling spots were made obsolete when aircraft carriers and aerial refeuling planes were invented :)

(Besides, the B2 bomber can reach France without refeuling)

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Why is iceland called iceland when their is no ice there? Why is greenland called greenland when it's all ice?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Why is iceland called iceland when their is no ice there? Why is greenland called greenland when it's all ice?

You'll have to ask a Viking

shuan24

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina

Island refeuling spots were made obsolete when aircraft carriers and aerial refeuling planes were invented :)

(Besides, the B2 bomber can reach France without refeuling)

I was actually trying to imply that we could use Iceland as a defensive measure, rather than an offensive one. IMO, isnt that why we occupy nations in the first place? Just in case they attack us, then we'll be ready to attack them from next door.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

It's a trick. If all you had to go on was name alone, where would you rather move to, Iceland or Greenland? Greenland, of course. Upon hearing the name, most would think Iceland was inhospitable...while in reality it is the other way around.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Gand1
You'll have to ask a Viking

If an American is from America and and African is from Africa........

Where the heck is a Viking really from!??? :)

Sixth King of something.... in disguise... probably England..

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Let me see if i have this right.

World complains that the US has too many troops stationed abroad.
US tries to close foreigh base, local country complains.

Classic America cant do anything right.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Europe doesn't need Iceland for this, France have some islands off the East Coast of Canada that can be used for such a purpose. One of the islands has an airstrip large enough for military transports and what not to use. During Canada's numerous Quebec Referenda, the existance of this airbase was a primary concern, estimates were that France could rapidly deploy 50k troops to Quebec.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Yep. The good old "damned if we do and damned if we don't" moniker.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski

Europe doesn't need Iceland for this, France have some islands off the East Coast of Canada that can be used for such a purpose. One of the islands has an airstrip large enough for military transports and what not to use. During Canada's numerous Quebec Referenda, the existance of this airbase was a primary concern, estimates were that France could rapidly deploy 50k troops to Quebec.
They would fly that many troops in just to surrender? Amazing....

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay
My Physician is from Iceland... ... Think it may be an invasion??

You better detain him and beat a confession out of him using the authority of the Patriot Act?.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Four Eagles or not, Iceland is screwed if attacked. It's NATO buddies are pretty far away and the commies are oh so very sneaky!

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JellyBaby
Four Eagles or not, Iceland is screwed if attacked. It's NATO buddies are pretty far away and the commies are oh so very sneaky!

Just who the hell would want to attack Iceland and why.

Well maybe if Iceland keeps breaking it's international agreements and keeps slaughtering endangered whales there might be a reason, but other than that Iceland is a nobody on the international scene.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Iceland is a nobody on the international scene.
-------------------------
I love how nicely that slides off the tongue. You know I have such a discriminating mind. Yes yes yes. This is this and that is that and that's the way it is. Oh dear, where have I put my monocle?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina
Originally posted by: LunarRay
My Physician is from Iceland... ... Think it may be an invasion??

You better detain him and beat a confession out of him using the authority of the Patriot Act?.

He's a She and the daughter of Thor...:)

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

Thanks for simplifying things for us.