Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
I picked up Iced Earth's latest offering yesterday. I hadn't heard the EP but I saw the video for 10,000 Strong on YouTube, which seemed ok but nothing really special. I still have a hard time listening to Schaffer's galloping riffs without Matt Barlow's voice, which just lent itself perfectly to the music and the subject matter. Tim Owens is freaking amazing, but I still feel that Barlow's gritty timbre just sounds so much more evil and complements the music so well.

But I haven't listened to anything else since I bought it, and I have to admit, it kicks all sorts of ass. It is solid through and through, and Owens just, well, rips. :) It sounds amazing and IMO he sounds 100 times better on this album than on The Glorious Burden. Jon Schaffer's riffs are familiar triplets, but on some songs he strays into new styles, most notably The Clouding. It's different but definitely not bad. Brent's drumming is simply amazing, just as it was on Alive in Athens. The lyrics are well-written, although I had always thought of the Something Wicked trilogy as depicting something more along the lines of a dormant evil lying in wait than the actual story it's being fleshed out into.

In all, the songs are pure metal through and through but you can actually sing along with them and headbang till you're blue in the face. I still think the original trilogy sets the bar just a bit higher, but it's awesome hearing the beginning of the full story and I give this album two thumbs up. I was really afraid it would be "meh" like TGB but my fears were unwarranted. Welcome aboard, Ripper!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: SWScorch
I picked up Iced Earth's latest offering yesterday. I hadn't heard the EP but I saw the video for 10,000 Strong on YouTube, which seemed ok but nothing really special. I still have a hard time listening to Schaffer's galloping riffs without Matt Barlow's voice, which just lent itself perfectly to the music and the subject matter. Tim Owens is freaking amazing, but I still feel that Barlow's gritty timbre just sounds so much more evil and complements the music so well.

But I haven't listened to anything else since I bought it, and I have to admit, it kicks all sorts of ass. It is solid through and through, and Owens just, well, rips. :) It sounds amazing and IMO he sounds 100 times better on this album than on The Glorious Burden. Jon Schaffer's riffs are familiar triplets, but on some songs he strays into new styles, most notably The Clouding. It's different but definitely not bad. Brent's drumming is simply amazing, just as it was on Alive in Athens. The lyrics are well-written, although I had always thought of the Something Wicked trilogy as depicting something more along the lines of a dormant evil lying in wait than the actual story it's being fleshed out into.

In all, the songs are pure metal through and through but you can actually sing along with them and headbang till you're blue in the face. I still think the original trilogy sets the bar just a bit higher, but it's awesome hearing the beginning of the full story and I give this album two thumbs up. I was really afraid it would be "meh" like TGB but my fears were unwarranted. Welcome aboard, Ripper!

i heard a cd of theirs a few years ago.. sounded kinda 80'ish metal to me.. what is your definition of pure metal? To me its something like Lamb of God....

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

i heard a cd of theirs a few years ago.. sounded kinda 80'ish metal to me.. what is your definition of pure metal? To me its something like Lamb of God....

Lamb of God is definitely pure metal too. (Although I must confess to being severely underwhelmed by Sacrament... Gone are the hard-hitting, relentless riffs of yore and in are fuzzy sounding guitars and simpler double bass patterns... Still a good album but it's no Ashes of the Wake) If you thought Iced Earth's earlier stuff sounded too 80s, you probably won't like this album. Their new singer was Rob Halford's replacement in Judas Priest when he took his hiatus, so he has that high-pitched classic metal shriek. This stuff is pure metal in a classic thrash/power metal vein.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK

Lamb of God is definitely pure metal too. (Although I must confess to being severely underwhelmed by Sacrament... Gone are the hard-hitting, relentless riffs of yore and in are fuzzy sounding guitars and simpler double bass patterns... Still a good album but it's no Ashes of the Wake) If you thought Iced Earth's earlier stuff sounded too 80s, you probably won't like this album. Their new singer was Rob Halford's replacement in Judas Priest when he took his hiatus, so he has that high-pitched classic metal shriek. This stuff is pure metal in a classic thrash/power metal vein.

high pitched classic metal shriek? i like dream theater!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Darn title. thought i could use THIS in this thread

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
I think Iced Earth is one of the most overhyped bands ever... But apparently Im alone in that

I just cant seem to like any of their stuff... Had a quick listen to the last album and while I reckon its really nice, it just doesnt grab me and I get bored quickly, just like with every other Iced Earth record... I guess its just not for me

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself
I think Iced Earth is one of the most overhyped bands ever... But apparently Im alone in that

I just cant seem to like any of their stuff... Had a quick listen to the last album and while I reckon its really nice, it just doesnt grab me and I get bored quickly, just like with every other Iced Earth record... I guess its just not for me

Haven't heard Framing Armageddon yet, but I have to agree. Night of the Stormrider is the only Iced Earth album I can enjoy.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ShadowOfMyself

I like Iced Earth, haven't listened to anything since The Glorious Burden and I don't listen to them very much.

That said, who the fuck is overhyping, let alone hyping, Iced Earth? Only their fans or fans of that genre might have heard of them. I don't see anyone ever talking about them anywhere.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
About 5 years ago I came across this badass-looking album cover art in a record store called, "Demons & Wizards." It may have been the only time I've ever purchased an album without knowing a single THING about the music. But I had some cash to blow and I was feeling lucky.

The album ended up being incredible, so naturally I researched what I had purchased. A joint project between the heads of two different bands, sweet! Time to look into the two bands: Iced Earth and Blind Guardian.

Long story short, after sampling tons of each of their music... Blind Guardian has become one of my favorite bands of all time and I ended up deciding that Iced Earth is rather mediocre.

With all that said... I will always check out Iced Earth's new stuff just in case they decide to surprise me, so thanks for the heads-up, OP.