Ice powered Air Conditioners coming....

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Is this the same thing they're using in the Honda factory?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
It sounds like a modified swamp cooler. Kinda nifty, but how is it going to keep a giant block of ice from melting in 2 or 3 hours in 110f weather?

feelingshorter

Platinum Member
May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Aflac
Is this the same thing they're using in the Honda factory?

I was always thinking why they didnt do that for houses just on a smaller scale. Not only that, a lighter roof color will make your house much cooler.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Some buildings have been doing this for quite some time.

The Sears Tower is cooled by this method. There is a plant nearby (you can see it from Wacker/Congress) that makes the ice at night when the utility rates are lowest and uses it to chill water during the day for the building AC.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I wonder if power companies would jack up rates at night just to stick it to people using this....

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: K1052
Some buildings have been doing this for quite some time.

The Sears Tower is cooled by this method. There is a plant nearby (you can see it from Wacker/Congress) that makes the ice at night when the utility rates are lowest and uses it to chill water during the day for the building AC.

cool...

Originally posted by: KDOG
I wonder if power companies would jack up rates at night just to stick it to people using this....

heh...

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
oooh clever. not only cuts down energy usage but also reduces power grid load b/c it's off peak hours

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque
It sounds like a modified swamp cooler. Kinda nifty, but how is it going to keep a giant block of ice from melting in 2 or 3 hours in 110f weather?

Kinda, not really. Swamp coolers don't use ice really, and you gotta keep refilling them. This thing would be really well insulated, to the point where the ice would take probably 10+ hours to fully melt. They'd just use it to help keep the refrigerant cooled down, rather than just running it through a grid exposed to air they run it through a grid next to the ice, less stress on the compressor. Nice idea, the only problem up until now was having to refill the water constantly. If they get it to the point where it's basically maintenance free, it's all good.

I'm betting it'll add a few $K to the install of a home A/C system though, probably worth it over the years.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Raduque

Why would it matter if the ice melted? A lot of thermal energy is going towards melting that ice, so the air conditioner unit doesn't have to work as hard. This would cut down electricity considerably. During the day, the cost in electricity from 84 to 82 degrees is a lot less than 78 to 76 degrees. At night the air conditioner would barely have to work at all to maintain a 78 degree temperature in most cities.

I can't imagine this saving a ton of electricity because you're using the air conditioner more at night, but it should save some. It wouldn't be practical to install these things if there weren't a savings in electricity, right?

Someone on these boards mentioned that they made a makeshift swamp cooler by freezing ice in a big bucket in the freezer at night and then placing this bucket in front of a fan. Cheap cooling solution :p

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Large buildings and factories have been doing it for years. Saves a crapload of money getting electricity during off-peak hours. I think there was actually a free sample in the hot deals forum for one of the little balls used. Basically looks like one of the reusable plastic ice cubes.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: drinkmorejava
Large buildings and factories have been doing it for years. Saves a crapload of money getting electricity during off-peak hours. I think there was actually a free sample in the hot deals forum for one of the little balls used. Basically looks like one of the reusable plastic ice cubes.

Yes since the 1980's. They run recip compressors usually a few hundred tons during off peak times and these cool down evaporators in which brine (salt water) is circulated. After a few hours, a nice coating of ice a few inches thick forms on these tubes. The brine is circulated through a fluid to fluid heat exchanger which exchanges the coolth (stored cold) into the building's chilled water loop. At the end of the cycle the compressor can be used to keep up with cooling demand and most days this doesn't happen until after the off peak period begins.

Of course this would be a lot different than a residential unit but the (thermal storage) principle is similar.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: feelingshorter
Not only that, a lighter roof color will make your house much cooler.

I've read studies where the diff of roof colors in high temp places is irrelevant.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
most newer buildings (like brand new high schools) use Ice based air-conditioning. They freeze the water at night, and its usually good for the next day.