IBM X335 Dual P4 Xeon 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x36GB HDDs, 1U Server $99 + Shipping

SonicTron

Oct 20, 2001
Nobody should ever, ever ever ever,ever buy P4 based xeons for a home media server. Especially not a dual P4 xeon box.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
Why not? Power consumption, noise perhaps? In my scenario those factors wouldn't matter much. (I'd be using it in my basement.)

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Why not? Power consumption, noise perhaps? In my scenario those factors wouldn't matter much. (I'd be using it in my basement.)
You could pickup a Core 2 Duo computer that is more powerful and for less money on Craigslist.
Hell, I got a HP NC6000 on CL for $15 that would run circles around the X335.

Last edited:

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
You could pickup a Core 2 Duo computer that is more powerful and for less money on Craigslist.

There's something to be said for having true "Server Class" hardware though. But, yeah, I wouldn't purchase this for my house.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010

I would like to see a listing for a C2D box on Craigslist for less than $150. Usually anything less than $250 around my area is a Pentium 4 or worse, an Athlon XP. D:

@john3850 I'm pretty sure that every version of Windows since XP Pro has supported SMP.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
I see Core 2 laptops on eBay for $250 all the time. I'm sure you could get a desktop for under $150.

Joseph F

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2010
I stand corrected, I checked out Craigslist and prices have changed a lot since the last time I've been there.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
not to mention this thing would be a loud mofo. I dont care if its in your basement or not they are loud.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
one mod you can do to these type of servers is to cut a hole over the cpus and put a 120 mm (or larger) fan sitting on the top

i removed the loud ass fans on mine and did that with a 120mm blowing into the hole above the CPUS and it worked like a charm...runs cool and quiet..just keep it in a closet (although beware the closet needs airflow or it will get damn hot in there)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah....chances are that hardware is about 7-8 years old.

Your electric bill and AC bill won't appreciate the box. If you do order one, you'd be better off buying 2 or 3 to have the spare parts when things start falling apart.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Thats a terrible deal even for $99 and even if the power consumption wasn't bad.

Any Core 2 Duo or Pentium e5xxx would be much faster.. hell an atom based machine might be as fast.

nalc

Mar 27, 2011
in terms of performance, this would beat out a dual core Atom, but not by a huge margin. Roughly 20%, by any benchmarks I've seen. And you're easily looking at 5x the power consumption. Yeah, noise won't matter much if it's in the basement, but power consumption will, especially if you will be running it 24/7 (the P4 has much less power-saving options. I am not sure if it can downclock to save power when idle like new machines can). Remember, this is one of the old PGA479 P4 Xeons, not one of the newer LGA771 P4 Xeons. There are some 1U dual core Atom barebones around the $300 range, but that $200 price difference will be realized within your first year of ownership, on your electricity bill.
It has only SCSI/IDE support, there's no SATA, so forget about swapping out those hard drives with something newer. There's no eSATA or USB 3.0, so forget about a reasonably quick external hard drive. There's 8MB integrated graphics memory, and only goes up to 1600x1200 (most likely, this is VGA-only with no DVI or HDMI), so forget about doing any HTPC type tasks on it, you'll be limited to using it as a fileserver. There's no PCI Express, so you can't even go add a SATA or USB 3.0 or discrete GPU card. It uses ancient DDR, which is becoming increasingly hard to find. No $30 4GB memory upgrades here, you're looking at 1GB sticks that cost like $40 each used, because of how hard they are to find.

For a HTPC, you'd get a lot more mileage of anything Core 2, Athlon 64, or newer. They will run cooler, and have SATA, and have PCIe so you can use a modern low-power GPU with HDMI. For a file server, you'd do a lot better with an Atom mini-ITX and a PCIe RAID card, because they don't need that extra ~20% performance that the dual P4 has, and the tiny power consumption will really help electricity bills for a machine that's always on.

Last edited:

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
If these are the same ones I have sitting here in storage they are very loud, even compared to other servers in our data center they are noticeably louder.

Again, if they are the same model, the 1U version has no KVM and must be daisy changed to a 2U version with IBM proprietary cable. I thought about gutting one and trying to use it for a MAME rig but there is so much custom ventilation in the it seems like more work than it's worth.

yuppiejr

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
This is a terrible home media server option... loud (think a pair of hair dryers on "high"), power hungry, and to do anything useful for storage it will require an additional investment in some form of external drive bay + drives... worst case via USB which you could just as easily hang off of an old $99 a laptop for similar performance and about 20x less power.

You'd be just as well off to grab a $99 mainboard/CPU combo and pair it with a basic case + some RAM and the hard drives of your choice. For about the same investment you'll have a new, power efficent media server.

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I'm using 3 x336's in a cluster. Having used a few 335's, I'd recommend the 336's.

Other than that, awesome deal! And for the naysayers, alot of this is great for doing projects in college. This gives you some decent speed and processing for a cheap price. You can't build anything for under 300$ that's as fast as one of these. The scuzzy drives, while not high on sequential, will thrash the heck out of of most modern regular drives in sustained randoms. I got to use the schools power so I didn't have to pay for that.

Also the 336's have SATA and RSAII Slimlines (in fact i'm running my some of my slimlines in a DC right now in South Bend.)

Oh and they are loud. The 1U's just don't ventilate well and they find any excuse to run 80% fan throttle (they rarely idle below 50%). I would estimate the noise of my 336's at about 75-80db. If I have the screen door open while the father-in-law is mowing, and the server is on the floor in front of me getting worked on, I can hardly hear the mower whatsoever.

Last edited: