IBM Thinkpad T42 Specs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
The website has been wonky since the Dothans came out. There were incorrect prices, model numbers and specs. I ordered one a couple days ago, but had to cancel because the model they were going to send me was completely different than what I ordered. Models were showing up with no RAM and no hard drive. I guess they're still working on it.

Just because they're IBM, it doesn't mean they actually know how to use computers. :roll:

grb33

May 16, 2004
I have T42 in front of me and it is fast. 15'' screen and 1,8 GHz processor. It is the first among arround 70 notebooks that i have tested that can encode a movie in Divx 5.0.2 faster then realtime.

t30caddler

May 16, 2004
I've a question regarding computer temperature

I've a T30 thinkpad (model from Mexico), Pentium 4 M 1.6 Ghz, 256 MB Ram, XP Pro.

The fan or heatsink? of the computer is almost all the time on and it's very annoying the sound. Is there a way to lower the CPU speed to avoid getting the chip getting hot???

I'm interested in buying a T42P notebook, but, anyone who already have one, could tell me if these new models are quiet concerning the fan??

And I suppose the M processor generate almost nothing of heat, but I'll like to know their opinions also about its overall performance.

Thank you very much.

t30caddler

May 16, 2004
grb33, do you think the new dothan 2 ghz is faster than a pentium 4m, or with a pentium 4 2 ghz laptop?
How much can you say about the fans, it's a quiet notebook?

I can't get my T30 to be more quiet, I've tried SpeedSwitch but the program doesn't even read the cpu status. I loved my A22e very quiet, but it was the Celeron model, hand it to my dad.

t30caddler

May 16, 2004
I'll try that Aramitz, BTW, do you know a place that have several pictures of a T40,T41p & T42p high resolotion images?

kki000

Jun 6, 2001
i have one of these in my shop cart...2378DUU

Should i try and buy it?

$1679 for 64mb ati 9600, 1400x1050 screen, 1.7g pent M...

When it comes up in my shop cart, it does show as 2378DUU, but when i try and customize it, it gets all whonky and gives me the base config with xga screen and 1.5g proc.. dunno what to do here.

K

Boardmonger

Feb 21, 2003
Does IBM have a 30 day no question return like other venders? If they do you could always order it and see what you get?

I personally think they won't send you the 1.7 because IBMs website has been all funky dealing with the T42s since their launch on May 10th, I have heard about people ordering units off the website only to get units out the specs they wanted.

Who knows I could be wrong. If you want to try it let me know if it works! I would buy that unit in a heartbeat if it really works....

eriqesque

Jan 4, 2002
Well according to the TABOOK the 2378DUU is
a Pentium M 1.5 with a Radeon 7500 and NOT a 1.7 with Radeon 9600
The site has been all screwy since the uploaded the T42's
That's probably why they are no longer on there.

aamsel

Jan 24, 2000
I have been considering a 15" T42 with 1400X1050 SXGA+ Flexview and 64MB 9600 card, and I have questions only about the Flexview display.
There have been discussions on another forum about the Flexview being a VERY slow display, with response times listed (from the screen manufacturer) of 60ms and higher, and reports of ghosting doing anything from viewing DVD movies to gaming. Is this truly a very slow display, and will I see ghosting???
Also, is the Flexview anything like the SONY XBrite display? I do not like the SONY because it is very reflective, in fact, you can see yourself reflected in the screen depending on the lighting.
I would MORE than appreciate any honest answers to these two questions. Several people have told me to order a Thinkpad, and return it if I am not happy with it, but that is the last thing I would like to do.
Thanks,
Andrew
Austin, TX