IBM Thinkpad T40 Issues with Audio and Wireless

Serrinon2

Jan 27, 2011
Hello everyone,

My brother gave me his old IBM Thinkpad T40 and I'm trying to get it operational. He put a fresh install of windows XP on it before giving it to me, so we thought it would be good to go. Unfortunately the wireless as well as Ethernet are not working. I was hoping to just use a system restore CD but we don't have it. So I tried the drivers at Lenovo but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dana

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
In the BIOS (setup), check to see if the audio, network adapter and wireless adapter are enabled.

Go back to Lenovo, and download the technical specs for the machine. They may/should include the make and model numbers of the audio chip, and wired and wireless network adapters. If not, right click over My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.

Click Network Adapters. If the system has identified the hardware, you should be able to click on the audio and wired and wireless network adapters and get the make and model numbers.

When you have that info, download the latest drivers for those parts.

If there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points, the system cannot identify the parts, or it/they may not be properly installed. Installing (or deleting and re-installing) the correct drivers may fix that.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:

Serrinon2

Jan 27, 2011
Thank you,

So I did what you said, and there are yellow question marks over the audio, wireless, and ethernet.

Is there still a way for me to figure out the model numbers so I can download the correct drivers? I tried the ones at lenovo and they didn't seem to work.

If there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points, the system cannot identify the parts, or it/they may not be properly installed. Installing (or deleting and re-installing) the correct drivers may fix that.

Good luck. :)

flensr

May 28, 2009
the model number and serial under the laptop should lead you to a huge list of drivers on the lenovo site.