IBM 75GXP & XP ...

ViperVin2

Mar 9, 2001
once in awhile, when i try to access files, my ibm 75gxp 30gb harddrive makes loud "scratching" type of noise. its much louder than the normal disk operation and within moments, my windows xp locks up. so far it happend twice in 3 days. this never happened with win2k or win98se. my harddrive is about 5 months old. why is this happening?

Endeffect

Jul 29, 2001
Sorry to tell you this, but I've heard that the IBM 75gxp HD's have had some serious problems with some users. IBM has fairly good customer support though, you could call them up directly and ask them some advice..

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
75gxp's are CaCa!

poo poo

It is going south on you!! Call IBM and replace it try and get a 60gxp if you can.

wasnlos

May 11, 2001

oh oh, that doesn't sound good, run IBM DFT, i guess you'll find it in the FAQs here, and even if you don't get any errors displayed, save your data and make yourself ready for RMA. your drive is about to loose your data or will even die. don't take any risk.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Download the IBM Drive Fitness Test and run the "Advanced" test on your HD. If there are errors it will fix them or give you an RMA number if it is indeed physically failing. :)