i7 time, couple quick questions :)

coolamasta

Jan 8, 2008
Right have decided I need to jump on the i7 train especially hearing that Intel might be pulling the lower spec i7's when the i5's come out!

Im going for the 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) as its supposed to be a good overclocker.

What I need now is a good motherboard for overclocking but one that isnt silly expensive, was thinking along the lines of the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R?

Im an Nvidia person so a crossfire board is not relivent but then im not really bothered about it being Sli capable either lol.

Also im not sure about the Ram spped, I will be going for 6gb (3 x 2gb) but not sure what speed I need to go for?

I really would like to get the 920 upto the 3.8-4ghz region so I assume I will need faster ram just not sure which speed? 12800, 14400 or 16000?!

Any advice much appreciated :D

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
You wont need faster RAM because you can use the RAM divider while you overclock. Use the money saved for a better cooler or some other component where you will see better gains. I spent a long time laboring over which x58 board to get, and ultimately I decided that I needed a board that had 6 RAM slots for future upgradability. I figured I was dropping that much money, I didnt want a new board or to have to get rid of my current RAM sticks to have more than 6GB of RAM.

What are you going to be doing with this computer? I picked up a SSD drive with my build, and it is deserving of all the hype.

imported_Shaq

Sep 24, 2004